Chapter 4- Nurse Bridges/Sarah

Sunday, May 18th

Over these past three years, Layla has become part of our family. She was craving a mother's love after her son was officially pronounced dead. It was a bittersweet moment, she lost her son but they were starting Asia's transplant.

She couldn't do the honor walk, so I stayed behind with her as her family walked in her place. As soon as they all left the room and it was completely quiet, she broke down. She cried for every loss she had ever encountered. Her mother never accepting her, Maize committing suicide and leaving her behind, her friends, her marriage and her son.

The biggest loss in that moment was her friend, Tiffany. Layla needed her at that moment. She said that she hoped she would fight everyone like she always did, to be by her side. 

Even though the twins, nor anyone from Kenneth's side of the family would allow her to come, Layla said that she should have fought tooth and nail to be there; if she was a true friend. That's what hurt the most.

As the days went by, she completely withdrew from everyone. She submerged herself in work. She went to counseling, but she never talked to anyone else about her feelings. 

One day out of the blue, she showed up to our house and said that she was going to take all of us on vacation. I don't know how she did it, but she got Jeff to agree and we all went to the Bahamas.

We had a really great time and were presented with a very pleasant surprise. Layla has been our daughter ever since and we share her with the twins now. At first, Keli was not having it because he said that there could only be two fathers. 

Layla used his own argument against him saying that technically there would only be two because in theory, he and Kino shared the same DNA. There wasn't an argument after that.

"Love, I have everything in the pit and it smells great already. If your son takes his ass out there, he's going to the hospital as a patient."

Dennis and his father both think that they are the world's greatest pit masters. All of their food is amazing, so it's really no competition.

"Don't threaten my son."

We both laugh and he comes over and gives me a passionate kiss. I know where he was hoping it would lead to, but someone yelling interrupted us.

"Granny? Old man?"

"He's not too young to get knocked out. He's a cockblocker like his father."

Our grandson runs into the kitchen and tackles his grandfather. They wrestle for a few minutes before he acknowledges my presence.

"Granny, you look beautiful today. Do you have any cookies?"

He's a five year old, manipulative flatterer.

"DJ, you can have cookies after dinner. Where is everyone?"

"Daddy and Uncle Jason are playing the game. Uncle Kennis is out back talking to his girlfriend about kissing."

He has been with Dennis full time for the past two and a half years. Keli pulled some strings and had a PI follow his mom to show that she never had their son, and never provided any type of support for him. Once everything was submitted in court, they granted Dennis full custody.

DJ's mom was giving visitation rights but she told the judge that if she couldn't get paid, she didn't want the kid. Dennis's attorney, Randy, who is Layla's stepfather filed for an order of protection to be enforced until DJ is eighteen. At that point he could make the decision if he would like to keep it or not. He hasn't missed that woman for even a second.