Chapter 47 - Keli

Trigger Warning

"Uncle Keli, what's going on?"

I'm gon' shoot the next person who walks up behind me.

"What do you mean, Princess? I'm just waiting on the fellas."

"Do you two realize that I am a grown woman now? I think that after twenty-eight years, I know when you are lying to me."

"Please, you just realized that we swapped places on you when you turned twenty."

"Stop changing the subject. Something is worrying my dad and I need to know what it is. Isn't it my job to protect you guys?"

"No, it's our job to protect you. Your job is to live your life to the best of your abilities, and so far you have made us proud."

I know I am pissing her off, but it's so damn cute seeing her get riled all up.

"Does this have to do with Aleki?"

I look at those beautiful doe eyes and I cave.

"Yes and no, Princess. We both feel like we failed you. It's harder for your dad because he thinks he brought the enemy to your door."

"She couldn't help it. She was sick. It was not his fault."

"And now who is lying to who? Maize was a grown ass woman who had a life long temper tantrum because her daddy didn't want her. Chelsea's bitch ass didn't want you and you are not trying to ruin Aria. You liberated that little girl today and she isn't even your daughter."

"I had two amazing dads who showed me more love than I could absorb."

"And we will continue to do that. Maize had Aleyna, she had love. Stop making excuses for her. She had even more love once our family welcomed her in. Whatever issues she had with her father should have never had an impact on you."

She sighs and drops her shoulders.

"I guess you are right."

I can tell that she has something on her mind. Those big ass brains are going to be the death of both of them.

"You would tell me if anyone else ever hurt you right, Princess?"

"If I had remembered all of this sooner. I would have. I feel like Aleki is the reason my marriage failed. It's the reason I wasn't able to satisfy Roman and he stepped out on our marriage."

"I'm going to kill that mothafucka as soon as I find him but your marriage failed because Kenneth didn't love you as a wife. Come on Kehlani, you see how he treats and protects Rella. That's what you do for someone you love. Did he ever do that for you?

I'll admit, I thought he loved you just as much as you did but when they get married I can guarantee you that he is going to do right by her. He accepts her as his wife and he will do what a husband should do this time."

"They are getting married?"

Fuck! I forgot she didn't know about it yet. I need a fucking drink.

"Yes. I saw her ring earlier today. You should be over him by now, Kehlani."

I can see the tears forming in her eyes.

"I am."

"Another lie. Why are you upset?"

"I'm just hurt. I understand it wasn't love for him, but it was for me. He told me he was going to propose but I didn't think it would be so soon. He really just replaced me like I was nothing."

A few tears escaped but she hurried and wiped them away.

"What's so special about her?"

She said it under her breath but I heard her, loud and clear.