Chapter 13 - Rome

Sometimes I have to remind myself that it is a great possibility that Brenda was on that shit when she was pregnant. This mothafucka does not even realize how much he is hurting Lay while he is supposedly trying to protect his kids. Even though I know for a fact that is true.

June suffered from depression just like Lays did, maybe even worse. He also developed an extreme attachment to the kids. We thought it was getting better until Rella gave birth to Kenny. He couldn't sleep the first week after she gave birth until one day his body just shut down on him. His therapist said that he had GAD, generalized anxiety disorder.

"June, calm down. You are overthinking this. No one is going to let anything happen to the kids. They are safe. Just take a deep breath and take a minute to let your mind relax."

I said this low so that no one else could really hear me. I can clearly see him starting to have a full blown panic attack. I look at Rella, who is about to have a panic attack of her own because she is conflicted on what to do. They have developed a bond and she can calm him down by making physical contact with him, but she knows it's going to throw Lays into a bigger fit.

I'm shocked by Lays actually going back and forth with him on this. She would have caved by now. I guess she truly has changed.

"I need more time. If it makes you feel better, you can take the kids to Hawaii and stay at our estate in the meantime. I know that Keith and Nya would enjoy it. They always have, and Asia will have an opportunity to see what it is like."

"Hell no! I'm not running from this bitch. How would that even work? Asia's doctors are here, she needs to be around them just in case something happens. We can just kill the bitch and be done with Layla."

She flinches at him calling her Layla. I guess she still has that programmed in her mind.

"I'm not really asking for permission, I just want your blessing to handle this the way that I want to handle it. If you want to barricade yourself and your kids inside of your home, that's on you."

"I'm not doing that. The best way to deal with it, is to take care of the fucking threat."

"I have a plan, and I need her alive for a few more months. Why are you being so difficult? I have always done exactly what the fuck you have told me to do. Everything. I'm asking for this one thing, why can't you just agree?"

"My children's lives are not to be played with, Layla! I'm not taking that risk."

"Well what the fuck about my son's life that was taken away? Why does he not matter?"

I look up at Denise and I can sense that she is also getting upset with June. He's not being rational, but he truly can't help it. I don't think he's taking his medicine. I shake my head so that she understands what I am thinking.

"He's not here, Layla. There's nothing I can do about that."

I look at Keli and try to get him to understand that the situation is more than what it seems. After a few seconds, he seems to understand and he stands next to Layla and whispers something in her ear. Then he whispers something to Kino. I take the chance to say something else to my son while she is trying to reign in her emotions.

"June, you have to stop this shit. You know this is just your mind fucking with you. Have you been taking your medicine?"

He shakes his head and confirms that he hasn't.

"Of all the fucking times you want to quit, it has to be this fucking week. Rella."

I call for her to come closer and she does.