Chapter 53 - Link

"I swear getting any information on these mothafuckas is like trying to break into Fort Knox."

He ain't never lied. Prentiss volunteered to come early to help me out with this impossible fucking mission. I chose not to bring my team in on it yet because I don't want to set off any red flags.

"I know what you mean. I'm getting a fucking headache. I'm starting to get tired of all of this bullshit. Man we have been moving non-stop. I haven't even been able to take on any work at the office. I have had to let my team handle everything."

"At least they are dependable enough to do it. I've been enjoying being part of all this. Do you know how boring it gets sitting inside of my house day in and day out? Since Kehlani has been forcing me on this new diet and shit, I feel like I'm finally able to live."

He's told me stories about him falling sick and being in the hospital weeks at a time. He has sickle cell anemia as well as severe asthma. He hasn't had but one crisis since Lay forced him on a diet plan, and it is very strict. She even brings him fruits and veggies when she comes around.

"I'm glad you feel that way. I never imagined that I would connect with someone from James' crew. Even though you are nothing like your brother."

He laughs and we both continue doing what we can. The hardest thing is breaking through Lay and Denise's firewalls. Denise will be here soon, she took Aria shopping.

I knew that birthday money was burning a hole in her hand. She got enough of it to finally ball the fuck out. If she gets that turn out every year, she'll be a millionaire in less than two years on birthday gifts alone. She got five stacks out of me alone.

All of a sudden, Prentiss's computer makes a sound.

"Shit, I think I found something. Fuck, it's encrypted though. It looks like it may be the government but something is off about it. This is over my pay rate though, I won't last a day in prison with my asthma."

I shake my head at this fool, but he may be right. We can be laughing one minute and then he's struggling to breathe. I take a shot at trying to break through this fucking firewall and I come up short. Before we can come up with a plan, we are interrupted.

"Boys, I'm here! I know you both missed me. I come with gifts."

Aria has the craziest smile on her face and she looks like she is glowing. Almost like she was reborn overnight. I'm glad to see her smiling but now that just means she's gon' drive everybody crazy.

She runs to us and gives us both a gift bag from Apple. It's the latest Iphone, but I already have one.

"This is the same model that I already have but thanks. I'll use it as a backup."

"No, Link. I bought this one with you in mind. You are going to hurt my feelings if you don't use it. Just carry it as a second phone. You too Prentiss. Aren't you even going to open yours?"

"Absolutely not. You bugged the airpods that you 'gifted' to my brother for Father's Day. Remember? Do you know what would have happened to me if I would have given those to him?"

"You are no fun. How did you find out about it anyway?"

Well now this mothafucka is going in the trash.

"Preston is always ... what can I say? He's very thorough and does not like surprises. There are scanners at all of the doors of the office and all of our homes. As soon as I stepped into my mama's crib the alarm went off."

I look at Aria and she has a bigger smile on her face. I think she just got an idea how to get past those scanners now. I don't know what it is, but the challenge of getting inside something so secure and the thrill of getting caught, does it for her. She's weird as fuck.