Chapter 77 - Layla

Trigger Warning

Monday, July 28th

"I was starting to think that we would be alone today."

"You knew that at least one of us was coming, Lay. Something came up at the last minute and we were delayed."

I watch as Marcus and Tony make their way over to sit on the picnic blanket with me.

"T. is right, Lay. We will always show up. If we don't, something major has to come up and you need to come looking for us."

"Today is the big day. Is Martell excited?"

"Yes and no. We had the talk with MJ, and he doesn't want his mama hurt either. You already know that Rick and his offspring showed out."

"I can imagine. Marcus, I have something to show you before you leave."

""What? Lay, I'm not good enough now?"

"You are married and have an adorable little blue-eyed angel. If I showed you, the big Angel would kill you."

He agreed then we started our breakfast picnic with Keo. I always try to visit him in the mornings but sometimes it's during lunch or at night.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"I should fire my therapist. I have a bunch of free ones."

Tony laughs then eats the last cream filled donut.

"Tony, you can go back home. How are you going to eat my donut?"

"Lay, that was mine, you already ate three."

I think about it and he's right.

"That means you need to get it off your chest. Talk to us."

I take a deep breath.

"I really want her to suffer. I want her to die, but I don't want to hurt anyone else."

"Are you talking about Keith or Ken?"

"Both. I know that he may feel a type of way about her, Marcus."

"Well you are wrong. He wants her dead. The only thing holding him back are the kids and your reaction."

"Why? What does my reaction have to do with it?"

"He is a changed man. Trust me we got on his ass after y'all last brawl. He went through a lot of shit, Lay. He kept it all to himself. He's been going to therapy and he's finally embracing it.

He was stuck up Rella's ass since he found out she was pregnant. If I didn't know they damn near have an amusement park at the house, I would say they were holding those hostage. He just shut himself off from everybody."

After a while, I stopped asking how he was and wanting to get updates on the kids. We were just cordial.

"Marc is cleaning it up. He locked himself away. Stopped going to the club and the shop. I don't think the nigga has done a tat for over a year. I haven't even seen him drawing. He showed up when it was mandatory. Now, he's slowly returning to the nigga we grew up with."

I just listen.

"Nah, he's different. A good difference but different. He's considerate of other people's feelings now. The mothafucka isn't as fucking selfish."

I slapped Marcus's shoulder.

"Watch your language!"

"Sorry. I'm just saying he's grown up."

I nod my head but don't say anything. I get up and walk over to Keo's headstone, kneel and wrap my arms around it, laying my head on it.

"Maybe he will start caring more, Bubba. He'll start showing up soon. I'll continue to pray and you continue to watch over him, your brothers and sisters. I love you so much. Mommy is almost ready. Just a few more weeks."