Chapter 26 - Kino

Trigger Warning

Graphic Content

"I don't think she's ready for what comes out of that girl's mouth."

"Brother, you know what her name is, Monica. The bitch's name is Monica."

"Fuck that girl and her name, Keli. Stop deflecting. She's not ready, and a second breakdown will destroy her."

"Son?"

Shit. She's like fucking Houdini.

"Mother. Why are you out here, you should be inside."

She comes closer to us and I almost step back, but I can't let Rome see that.

"I should be wherever I am. Hello, Rome."

He comes to her and hugs and kisses her cheeks. Now I need to sanitize her.

"Mother, you look amazing. How have you been?"

"Rome, keep your lips off of my mother. I don't know what you and Denise have been up to during the break."

"Kino, shut the hell up. This is my child also."

Rome kisses her again and I think of places to bury him, but Denise would kill me.

"Son, your daughter is ready for today. She may be emotional but that is to be expected. This is part of her healing journey. Don't forget that she is your child, and you are your father's."

Our father was ruthless. I took all of his persona and ways of dealing with people. Keli, does things more along the lines of how my mother would. She's right, I see more of myself in Kehlani every day. It scares the shit out of me because I don't want her to lose herself in all of this. That's why I chose to hand everything over to Keli.

"I'm still worried, mother."

Keli looks at me and I realize that I need to rely on my mother more. I just hate getting her involved.

"Mother, Preston suspects that Kehlani may have been violated at a young age. Do you think that is a possibility?"

Rome snaps his neck in Keli's direction for confirmation. Mother grabs her chest and I pull her closer to me to support her.

"No! No one would have been dumb enough. My poor baby!"

She starts crying.

"Mother, calm down. We are not sure if it actually happened but he's almost certain. The reason I asked you is because he believes she is triggered by addressing her as 'babygirl'.

That must have brought a memory forward because she tensed up and stopped crying.

"I need you both to allow me to deal with it. Promise me, now."

"If someone hurt my daughter, I can't make that promise."

"Neither can I, Mother. Just tell us what you know."

My brother is back into Don mode.

"I'm not sure that I know if anything happened. That's why I need you to promise me that you would let me handle it. If it's verified, then I will let you know."

"I promise to allow you to get the information."

"Okay."

"Keli, I have had to put up with your shit since you were born. Use words, asshole."

I smirk because I know her calling him an asshole hurt his feelings. Damn mama's boy.

"Mother, you are the one who taught our princess those bad words. I promise to let you handle getting information from whomever."