~.* Chapter Forty: The Broken Bond *.~

CW: the reader gets beat♡ ♡ ♡

♡ ♡ ♡

"I just wanna talk to you."

Eren forced you all to sit around the table, threatening you with his cut hand. As he gazed down at the bloodied tablecloth, you noticed his eyes lacked the look he had all those years ago. His eyes were almost what you'd call dead at this point.

"More conflict isn't necessary to solve Eldia's problems. Hange and the others are fine. We're just relocating them," he informed you, which was most likely why Floch was here a moment ago.

"Eren," Armin spoke, grabbing his attention. "Mikasa, [Name] and I have been wanting to talk to you too. What were you thinking when you decided to attack Marley on your own? Why do all of this? Did Zeke and Yelena really win you over to their side?"

Eren stayed tight-lipped, eyes darting back down at the white tablecloth that had a growing red stain.

"I am free, Armin."

"Every single thing that I've done, I decided to do," he said nonchalantly. "My actions are governed by nothing but my own free will."

You could feel your fist clench naturally on the table as you stared down at the table, thinking intently about this discussion, and why he decided to do all of this. As much as you tried to comprehend his actions, you couldn't. You knew Mikasa was feeling the same as you while Armin asked the questions.

"So even though you secretly met with Yelena, you're saying that this was all you?"

"...Yes."

"There's no way, Eren..." You glimpsed up at him, nervous to make eye contact with him while doing so, "There's no way you'd make these choices... Those children..."

Mikasa nodded at your comment, "You're being manipulated! The Eren I know would never involve civilians and children in a way, even if they were enemies... and you wouldn't put us at risk either. You care about us more than anyone!"

Eren couldn't reply, instead looking at her with the same dead look in his eyes.

"Don't you?!" Mikasa asked desperately, her eyes imploring for some sort of response from him. "You rescued me from those kidnappers in the cabin and wrapped this scarf around me, cause you're a kind perso--"

"I said to keep your hands on the table, Mikasa."

You glanced over at Mikasa, who stood up while clasping the deep red scarf that dangled around her neck. The sorrow in her eyes was evident to you as she sat down, looking at the table as she questioned Eren in her mind.