~.* Chapter Forty-Four: The Warriors and Scouts *.~

♡ ♡ ♡

♡ ♡ ♡

You got some intel on where Jean was at the moment and decided to head there when you saw something that baffled you. Louise lied on a bed in the hospital ward with that one red scarf that you made from your very own hands and was supposed to be in the possession of Mikasa. Why did she have it then?

"[Name], have you seen my scarf?" You looked over your shoulder, meeting eye-to-eye with Mikasa who just came from the room you and Armin separated in. "You and Armin were in there. Did you see it?"

"Your scarf?" you looked at the ground as you thought, trying to remember if you saw it on a nearby table but ended up with nothing. "No, I didn't. But..." you glanced over at the hospital ward, "I did just spot it just now."

Mikasa had a stern look on her face before looking back at you. "Did something happen between you and him?" she asked you with a frown. "The look on his face was more miserable than earlier. I haven't seen you two fight at all."

Recalling the things he said to yourself, you let out a breath and a weak smile. "No, nothing happened. We're both fine..." you said with an awfully good mask on. "Things have been moving so fast to the point I don't even know what's going on anymore. Surely you feel the same way, Mikasa."

She responded with a nod. "I just wonder what we're gonna go about Eren at this rate."

Letting out a shaking breath as she said that, you shook Armin's voice out of your head. "I'm gonna find Jean. Do you want to come with me?"

"Mhm," she replied, following you up the staircase in pure silence. You heard a distant gunshot from up above and started running up the stairs before you listened to another gunshot. A dead soldier lied on the floor with two gunshot wounds: one in the head, and one in the hand. It was all Floch's doing.

"Wait, what's going on here?" Mikasa asked as both of you tried to evaluate the situation. You both walked toward Jean who was on his knees, staring at the corpse in front of him. "Jean. What just happened?"

His eyes glanced over at the girl before looking up at Floch who spoke, "To answer your question, I'm taking action on Eren's behalf. He has his hands full solving problems outside of the island right now so I'm wiping out whatever resentment is left within it. Four years ago, all of us went through hell. But now, after suffering through so much, we've finally earned our reward. Can you still not see it for yourself?"

He smiled at the three of you as he spoke with his arms out, "You're finally free. You don't have any obligation to fight anymore. You can live as you please now, Jean." Floch then proceeded to put a hand on his shoulder reassuringly. "It's okay. You wanted to live the good life in the interior as an MP right? Then go do it. You're one of Eldia's heroes."