~.* Chapter Fifty: Torn Souls *.~

♡ ♡ ♡

♡ ♡ ♡

     "I understand that you did this because of the Attack Titan's ability to see the future, but did you have to be a complete douchebag to us? Was that comment about Annie necessary? Were you trying to get me pissed at Armin?"

     Eren wouldn't make eye contact with me one bit as we sat in our house in Shiganshina at the dinner table. All he could do was look to the floor next to him and I could see how guilty he was. "I had to do whatever I could to push all of you away. Even I thought it was absurd, too. I might've let myself get carried away."

     Oh?

     I sassily gave him a judgmental look as he looked away more. "Oh, you 'might've?' Trust me, you did. There's no 'might' in this situation."

     "I'm really sorry."

     Letting out a sigh, I remembered how much Eren had affected me that day. I didn't want Armin and Mikasa to get hurt by my brother. I remember my desire to keep them safe, but in the end, they still ended up getting injured one way or another. "Hm. I... okay. But you should apologize to Mikasa."

     I could hear him agree from across the table as we both stared at the wooden panel that we used to eat on every day of our childhood. There was a fruit bowl next to me, so I grabbed an apple to fiddle with. "So you pushed us away and aimed to make us look like the saviors of humanity."

     "Mhm," he hummed, "That's right. Every human that survived would owe you all their gratitude. They'd view you as island devils who went against the island and believed in humanity."

     "You're saying we should protect Paradis as the Tyber family did after the Great Titan War?"

     He didn't say anything else, making my patience run low in this space where time doesn't move or exist. I let the apple in my hand roll towards Eren out of my hand before crossing my arms and leaning back. "I'm gonna be completely honest with you, 'ren. But we, the apparent 'saviors' you want us to be, whether you like it or not, don't intend to play the role of hero."

     Hearing his chair slide against the wooden floors, I looked up just to see Eren getting out of the chair he always sat in. He left the apple sitting at the corner of the table. "Wait... Where are you going?"

     "Come with me. We're gonna go through some precious memories. The places that we always wanted to go together. While doing so, I'll tell you about the Founder Ymir."

     I hastily stood up from my seat and ran around the table to catch up with my one and only brother. My stubborn brother continued to walk towards the door that creaked open on its own. When he opened the door, a new sight presented itself. Mother and father were helping the two of us stand for the first time in the kitchen and I could feel my heart ache.