~.* Chapter Forty-Two: A Bond Severed *.~

♡ ♡ ♡

♡ ♡ ♡

Year 842

"Give me it back please!"

"Nuh-uh!"

"What do you mean nuh-uh? Just give it back!"

The nine-year-old girls towered over your seven-year-old self. Your small hands reached out toward the red scarf you were in the process of making just to have it seized from your reach. All that hard work down the drain and into the gutter. The girl observed the scarf with a mischievous smirk while the other girl looked down at you with a foot on yours.

She chuckled, "What even is this? This is terrible!" Her grip tensed on the scarf, making you yelp at the sight of it tearing.

"Wha-- No! Stop!" you begged with tears forming in your eyes, watching it come undone and torn. "It's for my brother! No!"

As you attempted to reach out for the girl's ankle, the one stepping on your foot forced you back with her foot against the brick wall. "Hey! Don't touch her, you understand?"

"...and you don't touch my sister!"

Your eyes zipped to where the familiar voice came from, seeing your brother sprint through the streets of Shiganshina. His eyes were fueled with wrath as he approached the girls, standing in front of you in defense. "Touch my sister and you'll be messing with me."

One of the girls sneered at the sight while the other laughed, "What is this? Oh! Is this your pathetic brother you mentioned earlier? I see the resemblance."

"I-I just want the scarf back... Please, I worked hard on that," you stood up, standing behind your brother who held his ground, fists clenched.

Eren started to get impatient and grabbed the scarf back from the girl. "Come on, [Name]. We have to head home, away from them." He gently grasped your wrist and pulled you along as you peeked over your shoulder. The girls gave you a dirty look and walked in the other direction thankfully.

As you walked side-by-side, you held the ripped scarf in your hands as you looked down at it in dissatisfaction. Eren had a hand gently on your back as you walked.

"They were speaking nonsense," he abruptly said before he looked at you with a delicate smile. "You can always make another one. I can wait."

You jerked your head with a pout, "No, you can't wait! You'll get a cold in the upcoming winter," you protested before you looked back at the scarf. "Why are people so mean? They don't know me, so why would they hurt me?"