Candlelight

Trunks blinked slowly. He rolled himself over to face Goten, who was across the room in his bed.

"You awake?"

"Not willingly." Goten retorted.

Trunks looked up at the cracked door, seeing a faint light from somewhere in the distance. He looked back at Goten, "Do you think he's awake again?"

"He's done this every night without fail since-" Goten went silent, as if not able to mention the incident.

Trunks sighed, rolling out of bed, "I'll go talk to him."

Gotten also got up, "And I'll be the cherry on top."

Goten and Trunks slowly walked to the staircase, without even going downstairs they could see the soft candlelight. They looked at each other with a mix of sympathy and pity.

They crept down the stairs and into the dining room, where Vegeta sat quietly and the table. His arms were crossed on the table underneath his heavy head, eyes engrossed with the candle flame.

"Dad?" Trunks wasn't surprised when he got no response, he probably wasn't even noticed.

He came closer, resting a hand on his father's shoulder. "Father." Vegeta's head jerked in his direction, and Trunks couldn't tell if it was due to his hand or what he called him.

"Father, it's late, it's important for you to rest."

"But how will Kakarrot get in if no one answers the door?"

Trunks' heart cracked, but he persisted. "He'll come home when he's ready."

Trunks reached to pinch the lit candlewicks, but was stopped by Vegeta's wavering hand, "if we blow out the light, how will he find his way home?"

Trunks frowned, not knowing how to break the news to his old man.

"It's okay Vegeta," Gotten said, coming behind the oldest male, "He'll just Instant Transmission like he always does."

"But-"

"He wouldn't keep you waiting if he had anything to do about it." Goten said carefully, reassuring his father-in-law.

Vegeta stayed silent, before surrendering with a sigh, "..If you say so..."

Goten smiled gently as Trunks blew out the candlelight. They walked out the room slowly, staying by Vegeta's side.

Still unable to tell Vegeta about the fact that Goku had already passed from old age, knowing that they'd have to do the same thing the night after.