Chapter One

^ Sky ^

_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s   O f
H I R A E   T  H
_________________________________

T h e ' R e a l W o r l d '

S k y

There's only one thing worse than waking up on a school morning—not waking up on a school morning.

I jolted up when I realised.
I'm going to be late.

My skin, fortunately, had decided to look nice today, but I still grabbed my concealer and blended it under my eyes and on any places that could make me feel slightly uncomfortable. I then curled my lashes as I brushed out my eyebrows, put mascara on as I filled my eyebrows in.

My phone rang as I terrorised my makeup drawers, trying to find my favourite red lipstick. When I eventually found the lipstick, I picked my phone up.

In too much of a rush to look at the caller ID before accepting the call, I jumped when the voice blared through the speaker and consequently destroying any last brain cells I had left.

"Need a ride?" At first, I scoffed, then I looked at the time. My eyes widened when I saw the time, a line of lipstick running down my chin. I cursed profoundly as I carefully dabbed the mark with a makeup wipe.

I breathed out slowly, "are you messing around with me, Carter?" I questioned through the phone, raising my eyebrows and picking up my school bag.

I rushed down the stairs of my familiarly quiet house, grabbing a cereal bar from the counter and bypassing the note that my Mum had written to me. I knew what it said, though. Dad and I are working late, blah blah, cook a microwave meal, also sorry we don't live at home anymore, we like work better than you.

"Are your parents home?" Carter asked, suddenly. I stopped momentarily, shocked—and kind of scared—at his psychic abilities. I soon shook this off, though.

"Take a guess," I muttered sourly before looking at the digital time displayed on the oven, I cursed under my breath, fifteen minutes—fifteen.

I quickly slipped on my black pumps and ran out the door, the fresh crisp air of April hitting me in the face.

"You're either lying about the time or my oven is." I spluttered, out of breath as I ran down my drive.

"Friends over food, interesting choice," Carter remarked and I mentally pleaded for him to shut up.

I tried to walk as fast as possible, but he rode alongside the pavement in his stupid motorbike.

"This beauty will get us there in no time," Carter said, tapping the bike quickly.

"What beauty?" Carter pointed to himself, to which I laughed at.

"Well, hop on then, gorgeous." I saw Carter grinning at me from the corner of my eye. I didn't care about his charm—I was terrified of motorbikes, and Carter knew this. I crossed my arms over my chest defensively, though perhaps that was to contain my trembling, and continued walking.

"Oh come on, Sky, any girl would die to get on my motorbike," I narrowed my eyes at him.

"They wouldn't die getting on it, they would die whilst on it. With your speeding, I'm surprised you haven't killed yourself, either," Carter rolled his hazel eyes but didn't shoot back.