Chapter Sixty-Seven

_________________________________

T h e H o l l o w s   O f
H I R A E    T    H
_________________________________

Kate sat up straight, hands together in front of her in her usual business-like manner.

"I just want to ask a few questions about what happened with Carter." Kate explained and I nodded. Well, I should've seen that coming.

"Carter told us that he has no idea what happened, that the knife came out of nowhere, is this correct?" Kate asked, sounding like a recording with her monotone voice.

I grimaced uneasily, "I was in the bathroom when it happened, so I have no idea." I sounded pathetic but Kate nodded nonetheless, jotting down information in her notebook.

"What were you doing in the bathroom at the time?" Kate asked, her eyes mapping out the conclusion to this talk.

I frowned, trying to pick out the memory. "I was..I found a necklace in my cupboard that I thought I had lost, I was trying to take it out." I told her. Kate leaned in, abandoning her notebook.

"'Trying'?" Kate repeated what I'd said with inquiry.

"Yeah," I responded, "It got caught and then once I got it out, Carter had been hit by a flying knife, so I dropped it and ran." I described the events and Kate raised her eyebrows, then decided to write notes.

She stood up suddenly, "Do you think we could search your room for any break-ins and such?" Kate asked and the two guardians by the door walked over to her slowly as if the question was a sign to them.

I considered this longer than I should've; it can help Carter. I nodded eventually, "Can I tell Jameson?" I found myself asking and Kate smiled in response as she stood up.

"Sure, as long as he doesn't get in the way." She told me and I pulled out my phone as she grabbed her notebook.

'Kate is about to search my room because of what happened to Carter, see you at break?'

I sent the text just in time to quickly stand up and follow Kate out the door. I received a text back as Kate shut the door behind us and I rolled my eyes like always at Jameson's quick and worried replies.

'You'll be seeing me there.'

It read and I sighed; typical. Jameson always wants to be in the action, at least where it concerns me.

I had to guide Kate and the two other guardians down the corridors, thankful that it wasn't as long as a walk as it is to walk anywhere else in this place. I used the spare key I always had in my bag to get in, since Jameson always carried the actual set of keys.

Kate and the two guardians went in first and I followed shyly behind, closing the door behind me. The three didn't hesitate to pull on rubber gloves and start their search. I found myself being uncomfortable in my own room as I watched from afar as they pulled things out to look behind.

"Sky?" Kate called to me, head poking out of my bathroom. She beckoned me over once she had my attention and I followed gladly, no longer feeling like I was getting in the way.

I shut the door behind me to create more space and saw that Kate had opened my cupboard.

"Is this where you found the necklace?" Kate asked as she gestured to the cupboard.

I stepped up to it and nodded, "Yeah," A glint caught my eye and I immediately found the nail, that the necklace had been dangling from, in front of me on. "There." I pointed to it and Kate peered in to get a closer look. She fiddled around and hummed suspiciously.