Chapter Fifty-Five

_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s O f
H    I    R    A    E T H
_________________________________

The school day went by like a breeze—mainly because I was asleep for most of it—and soon enough I was making my way back to the canteen to meet Toby. I had barely been able to focus in my last two lessons; so many questions were pulsing through me about this moment.

I had been anticipating it for the past two hours, what would he tell me? How did he get the information? When? There were too many questions for me to even remember.

But soon enough, I made it to the canteen, my aching legs pushing me forward as fast as they could go. I'd managed to lose Jameson, not that it took that much dodging. He and I were still on the outs but I was pretty much over the kiss we had shared and the many omissions it came with.

Anticipation burning up in my veins, I pushed the canteen door open with so much force that it flew back and hit the wall. I grimaced but then laughed as I saw Toby—who was sitting at a table with his back to me—jump in shock.

"Jesus, Sky," He breathed out as he rose from his chair, "If you don't behave, I won't be telling you what I found out." Toby taunted with his arms crossed as he leant against the table. I clenched my jaw and Toby smirked when he saw my reaction.

I started to walk towards him, my steps feeling more threatening with every foot forward. "If you don't tell me what you found–"

Toby interrupted me, "You're going to what? Rain on me?" He joked and I gritted my teeth, trying to keep control.

"My name is Sky, not Cloud." I huffed, crossing my arms over my chest in a defensive manner as I finally reached him.

Toby hummed as he ran his thumb over his chin, "I kinda like that name, Cloud." He teased, a smug look on his face.

I punched his arm, "Stop!" I sighed as Toby glared at me after I wounded his arm. Starting to get impatient, I got straight to the point.

"So what did you find? This better be worth my time." Toby rolled his eyes at me and I stuck my tongue out at him. Toby ignored me and started to dig around in his backpack. He pulled out a big, very thick book. He didn't read all of that, did he?

Toby glanced up at me, "Don't look so shocked, I'm as interested in all of this as you are." He explained and I pursed my lips but took the book from his hands.

"History and records of Zasol–" I frowned as I tried to pronounce the real name of the academy, something I haven't heard since Jameson and I had met when he was coming to collect me. I smiled as the memories of the car journey came back to me.

I shook the off memories from only two months ago and lifted the cover, my eyes widening as I saw a massive paragraph, Toby sighed and turned the pages until we were faced with collection of pictures. The pictures were of people, and the page was set out almost like a leavers book.

"Who are these people?" I glanced up at Toby who had a glint of excitement in his eyes.

"Take a seat." He offered me and I thanked him before sitting down. Toby surprised me when he sat next to me, and then shuffled his chair closer to mine. I cleared my throat awkwardly before pushing the book between us so that Toby could see it without moving any closer to me.

"What's wrong?" Toby asked, sounding like he knew full well that his closeness was making me feel uncomfortable. Toby picked up a strand of my hair and started to twirl it around his index finger.