Chapter Seventy-Nine

_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s O f
H    I    R    A    E T H
_________________________________

I gasped for air as the unflinchingly strong hands gripped my neck as if they were about to wring it out, and, honestly, I believed they could. I looked up, my heart literally skipping a beat when I saw someone dressed in all black. Is this going to be a reoccurrence in my life? I'll settle down back into reality and along comes another life threat dressed in black.

I flailed around, trying hopelessly to break free. If only I could just–

"Stop. Fighting." The deadly tone scared me stiff, as did the tightening hands round my neck as they applied more pressure. I gasped for air, feeling all the blood rush to my head. I couldn't recognise the voice, but I could recognise from the pitch that my life threat—this time—was a woman.

"We've tried everything, but it's like you're invincible," The woman seethed and I frowned; say what? We?

She then began to choke me, "Or are you..?" She trailed off, probably imagining all the creative ways to kill me. Right here and now would be an example. The thought of her wringing my neck came back to me and I shivered. The voice was what got me, it was similar. But I couldn't pick it out. It wasn't someone I was close to, which I guess is fortunate, but it definitely struck a chord at the back of my mind.

"So, if you don't want me to kill anyone," She began and I trembled, wondering how I'd strayed so far from the confident girl who had planned her escape—and now the girl who fought for her life beneath the hold of a potential murderer.

The person must've noticed my new weak state, as it appeared that she was finding the situation rather funny. Not that I could actually see her expression to verify this.

She pressed herself closer to me, the agonisingly strong hold on my neck getting unbearable. "Tell everyone you don't need a guardian." The woman continued and my heart stopped. What?

"Or at least get him to lay it off; he's making it so hard to snap you in half like the twig you are." Her words were harsh as she seethed.

I was too in shock to reply. If I told Jameson to 'lay it off', first of all, he wouldn't, second, if he miraculously did, I'd end up dead. There was no way that I would give my 'life threat' the satisfaction of that tragedy.

"Do it." They pressed on, squeezing my neck so hard that I swear the veins in my forehead burst. "Or I'll kill him—I'll kill
Jameson. I'll make you watch, then I'll kill you." I was stunned as they made their last threats, victory evident in their voice; they knew that they had scared me. They thought I'd do it now that not only mine, but Jameson's, life was on the line.

Of course I wanted to do it. Ever since I'd got here I've been thrown around, literally; I've never been able to make my own choices. If I said 'no' to this, Jameson would pay the price; I'd be protecting him if I agreed. Surely that isn't bad?

However, no matter the situation, Jameson is my guardian. If any other threat was given to me, I'd tell him what it was. I'd let him do the protecting, since it is his job.

But I just couldn't stop the pride and want for self-gratitude and importance from clouding my judgment. I wanted to take control. I also wanted to save Jameson's damn life. Was that so bad?

I didn't have time to answer my own question, as the woman on top of me decided then and there that she'd choke me to death. Her grip on my neck tightened and tightened, whilst I gasped and gasped. My arms went up and started swatting at anything, trying to retrieve my oxygen.
I couldn't get it.