Chapter Thirty-Eight

^ Sky wears this later on ^

_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s   O f
H    I    R    A    E    T    H
_________________________________

"This is stupid." I remarked as Jameson and I walked down the corridor and back to our dorm after the meeting.

"It isn't; we need to protect the school." Jameson explained defensively. I shook my head and sighed as Jameson sped up. I grabbed hold of his arm and he came to an abrupt stop as he almost fell into me.

"Sky-" Jameson was about to shout at me when I shouted over him.

"It isn't the school you need to protect, it's me," I laid a palm over my chest to gesture to myself but Jameson only pulled his arm out of my hold in frustration. He turned away from me and was about to start walking when I stood directly in front of him.

Jameson immediately stopped before he went crashing into me and his nostrils flared as he ran his fingers through his hair.

"Haven't you noticed?" I demanded and Jameson turned to face me, his eyes searching mine.

"I'm always in danger when you're not around." I almost exclaimed but managed to keep some sort of management on my emotions, preventing them from seeping through into my words. I saw as a frown appeared between Jameson's brows.

"Why is it even sane to put you on night shifts?-"

"Sky, calm down." Jameson reached out a hand for me but I backed away.

I shook my head frantically, starting to become slightly hysterical. "It's Eden, don't you understand? She suggested it. And night shifts? Have you not realised most of my near death experiences have been at night?" I babbled on, anxiety making me think about any possibility.

"It's like everyone's out to kill me!" I exclaimed as I threw my arms in the air. Jameson looked haphazard as he tried to separate actual words from my babbles.

"And why the hell did you agree to the night shifts? Do you want to kill me too?" I almost screamed at him in frustration and my eyes blurred as the familiar feel of tears welled up in my eyes.

All of a sudden, Jameson had roughly shoved me up against a wall in the hallway and was centimetres away from my face. I could see and feel that he was angry as his lips were pressed into a tight line and his fingers were tightly locked around my wrists.

"I do not want you dead!" Jameson startled me as he shouted. I jumped slightly in response but it appeared that Jameson didn't even notice.

"Of course I know that Eden is up to something, but I accepted the night shifts because I pretty much had to; I was cornered. Sure, it could help if I catch the intruders before they get to you, but I didn't have a say in the decision." Jameson pushed up against me in rage and his hands tightened their hold around my wrists.

"Sky," His voice calmed down and I almost thought I heard it crack slightly. "I don't want to leave you, especially at night when, as you said, you've been targeted the most." Jameson explained and I frowned, seeing just how badly he meant his words. He didn't want to do this. He didn't want to leave me unprotected.

The thoughts that clouded my mind finally stopped spinning me out of control and I whimpered at the realisation of the situation at hand. The tears that were welling up finally spilled and I leaned my head into Jameson's chest.