Chapter Five

^ Avery ^

_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s   O f
H I R A E   T  H
_________________________________

"Sky, right?" I whipped my head around to see a small girl. Her hair was a shade of red, however, more so on the orange side and gorgeously curled. Her features were small and she had a petite build.

I raised my eyebrows at her, "That is correct," I had actually managed to escape Jameson's protective hold—he needs to settle; I'm not going to get drugged and kidnapped in a school full of people.

"What can I do for you?" I asked next and then jumped when the girl suddenly squealed. I frowned at her but she dismissed it, or was oblivious, and linked arms with me, guiding me over to a nearby bench, at which she plonked herself down on it. I sat down, a little more gracefully, if not hesitantly, than she had, and turned my body to face her.

"I was there in the hall," She gushed and I nodded slowly, "When you made a fool out of Eden Howell?" Ohh. "It was completely insane, no one has ever had the courage to do that. Well done!"

"I don't usually promote violence, but good job! You impressed the whole school—well, those of us who were watching." She continued, frowning at the mistake that she made.

I smiled at the compliment, she was cute, maybe she won't turn out to be as ditsy as she looks if I get to know her. "What's your name?" The girls face lit up and her hazel eyes held an excited glow.

"Avery Holland, nice to meet you." She stuck her hand out and I shook it, laughing. Avery smiled but then she looked around me, she froze.

I frowned, looking around, "What is it?" Maybe I should've stayed with Jameson after all.

"Zack Espan!" She squealed and I turned to face her. Okay, so maybe I have just met a crazy person.

"Zack who?"

"Shh!" Avery came closer to me and started taking in a hushed tone, "I'm not surprised that you don't know, because you have only just got here, but Zack Espan is the school's hottie," She told me. Aw, I was hoping to claim that place in the school's royalty.

"However," Of course. "He is also the school's player." I finally found the boy in question and we locked eyes at the same time. Zack smirked and combed his hair out of his face with his fingers. I was completely smitten.

Then he put his arm over some girl's shoulder. Well, he's a straight up fuckboy.

"Oh and that," Avery brought me back to my senses and pointed to the girl, "Is his latest accessory. Only girls like her get involved with him because they are the only ones who don't mind the impending shame and doom of the cheating part of the relationship." Avery rolled her eyes and I nodded.

I took one last glance at Zack but then was distracted as I  spotted someone who I maybe wanted a little more time away from.

"I'm sorry, but I have to go, Jameson has been breathing down my neck the whole week and I just need a few more minutes." Avery laughed and smiled.

She pulled me in for a hug, "If you're staying out long, leave it until eight to call him, and then get back at ten," She whispered in my ear. Pulling away she added, "Worrying the boy gets you benefits." She winked, earning a scoff from me and a slap on her arm.