Chapter Ninety-Four

________________________________

T h e H o l l o w s   O f
H I R A E    T    H
_________________________________

I slept through the night, waking up with a kink in my neck only once, wandering around in my pitch black surroundings, trying to find the bathroom at such an early hour in the morning. I would've liked the comfort of Jameson's hospital bed, but I didn't want to shift him around and risk taking his life at the same time. And so, I reluctantly trudged over to the lounge chair, dozing off to sleep in a matter of seconds after getting comfortable.

When I awoke again, light was blazing through the thin fabric of the curtains, and I was able to see Jameson for the first time since I had fallen asleep. I was grateful that the pulse on the screen beside him was still beeping, discreetly telling me that he was alive and healthy. But Jameson was more than alive and healthy when I looked over at him. He was awake.

I was midway between deciding what was real and what was not when he flashed me a full blown grin. All for me. And I drank it all up—all his glorious features, all his wonders and woes, alight in the glimmer of his eyes. And it was me who had the fortune of seeing the entirety of this seemingly obscure being, but really Jameson is just a dusty diamond, left alone for too long, and I just happened to have uncovered him, and what I saw was beautiful. What I see is beautiful. And he was staring back at me, with a confused frown on his face, probably wondering why the weak girl with blonde hair was gaping at him.

"Hey." I greeted him, trying to sound casual and collected, except, my voice came out as a tiny wisp of a whisper.

Jameson smiled, albeit his frown still remained, "Hey." He whispered back. My heart fluttered at the gentle touch of his voice before Jameson continued, "Why are we whispering?"

I rolled my eyes, "Because we're an illegal thing." I continued whispering.

"'Thing'?" Jameson raised his eyebrows at my term, but still maintained our whispering conversation.

"Me and you—you and me." I told him.

"I love the description." Jameson shot at me sarcastically, whilst simultaneously breaking off our whispers as he spoke louder.

"You want to know what's illegal?" I stood up in a huff, annoyed with how this conversation turned, and impatient with waiting for it to turn back around.

Jameson raised an eyebrow. I raised a foot, ready to take steps forward to him. And, then, I did.

I sat on the edge of the hospital bed, next to Jameson's wired and cabled arm. Jameson just stared at me.

"This," I whispered as I leaned in. Jameson watched with anticipation in his eyes, waiting for the result of my tiff to come.

"Is illegal." I continued, though with an edge of something I have never managed before in my virginal life—flirtation, an undercoat of lust, it was surprising what I could do in the heat of the moment. And just before I closed my eyes—and the distance—I saw the same lust, and some admiration, reflected in the eyes of the one I loved. The one I am in love with.

Then my eyes fluttered shut. The only thing I could sense was the warmth of Jameson's lips on mine, an electrifying moment. My heart was ignited, and all my brain did was submit to this glorifying crime. Of which, I could never feel guilty for. I will never feel guilty for loving someone. And so, finally, my brain gave in, I lead with my heart, whilst my brain stood in the sidelines and controlled my actions. My wandering hands, my shifting body as I hovered over Jameson, my–