Chapter Forty-Three

_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s O f
H    I    R    A    E T H
_________________________________

My voice shook but I was adamantly sure that I wanted—needed—him to leave. I wanted him to walk away and calm down, before he broke more knuckles.

Jameson frowned, a dejected expression written on his face. He stepped forward hesitantly, "What? Sk–"

"Get out!" I repeated, my voice sounding more hysterical with every syllable. Jameson looked stunned as he took another step forward.

"Jameson, get out of my room!" I shouted at him, aimlessly and hysterically pointing towards his room. For a few seconds, it was as if Jameson didn't know how to react. He didn't take any more steps forward, but he also didn't take any back.

The arm that he had been cautiously outstretching for me dropped and fell to his side. Understandingly, he backed away. Jameson reached his room and started to close the door, but I knew all too well that he would just leave it ajar.

"Close it." I demanded, arms crossed. The door immediately flew open and a very pissed off and shocked Jameson was in my view.

"Sky, what–" I knew he was going to shout.

"Jameson, close the goddamn door!" I screamed, even surprising myself with my tone of voice. I gripped at my hair and slipped down onto my bed, my muscles feeling relieved after our long argument.

Jameson clenched his jaw, but closed the door nonetheless. After I heard the click, I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding. I swallowed the bile that had been rising in my throat and tried to calm myself down. I took deep breaths whilst sipping my water. Inhale, drink, exhale, drink. Well, it's working.

I hadn't even realised I was crying until a stray droplet fell onto my hand. I wiped the tears away hastily and waited until I was calm again. The tears never stopped streaming down my face, but I managed to relax moderately.

I stood up and walked to the bathroom, smiling as I saw my reflection; it wasn't as bad as I had seen, but I did look like a Halloween costume gone wrong. I rummaged through my drawers and let out a relieved sigh when I finally found my makeup wipes.

When I had removed the ruins of my makeup, I rinsed my face with cold water, trying to look like a decent human being after crying my sorry eyes out. I took one last look in the mirror, satisfied with what I could achieve without caking my face with makeup, and then walked back into my room.

However, I stopped short when I saw Jameson awkwardly standing in the doorway to his room. He was fiddling with his fingers, looking completely out of place. It was unusual behaviour from him, since the only emotions he seems to know how to comprehend are anger and—wait, that's it.

Jameson immediately looked up at my entrance and an emotion I couldn't decipher flashed in his eyes before he straightened up.

His lips parted and I anticipated his next words.

"Sky," and this time I didn't interrupt him. "I am so sorry," He continued, his voice smooth and silky, warm to the ears and electric to the heart. He took a step forward and I found myself wishing that that step would've inched him a little more closer to me than it actually did. But I didn't know why I wished that.