Chapter Thirty-One

_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s   O f
H    I    R    A    E    T    H
_________________________________

A squeal escaped my lips from the sudden lift and Jameson steadied me in his arms. For a few seconds, he did nothing but look at my awkward reaction. I couldn't help but play around with my fingers uncomfortably.

"You just had to make this awkward." Jameson sighed and I laughed as he voiced both of our thoughts.

"Sorry." I apologised and dropped my hands into my lap. We–he walked in silence as we neared our room and I ever so awkwardly dropped my head onto his shoulder as I felt my neck begin to ache.
Jameson tensed up at the change of position but didn't let it affect his walking.

I lifted my head off his shoulder as I spotted our door, "Key." I demanded and held my hand out to Jameson, who looked at my hand before sighing, then shifting me slightly so he could reach into his back pocket. I admired his strength but didn't give him any credit for it as I wrapped my arms around his neck, just in case he really did let go. He fished out the key and handed it to me, then I reached down and unlocked our room.

"Key." Jameson held his hand out to me, failing to do an impression of me. Rolling my eyes, I handed him back the keys and he pushed open the door.

Now here's the problem, we survived the walk back to our room with me in Jameson's arms; we're in our room. The problem? Jameson has not set me down. I wanted to prompt him, but my mind suddenly went blank. I didn't want to make the situation even more awkward, so I guess I just waited.

When he was ready, it was the awkward realisation that he was still holding me when he didn't need to, that provoked him to drop me. Yes, he dropped me.

Luckily, I landed on my good ankle, except then I went falling the other way-into Jameson. In the midst of all this, I somehow was able to hear Jameson apologise for previously dropping me. His apologies stopped short when I fell into him and then he fell backwards.

Fortunately, there was no one behind him to fall. However, Jameson did stumble backwards and hit the wall. Awkward position number two: I'm pressed up against Jameson as I lean into him for support to stabilise myself, and Jameson is pressed up against the wall.

I looked anywhere but at Jameson as I concluded that this has been the most awkward day of my life. Jameson cleared his throat with embarrassment so I tried to peel myself off him.

Looking up at him, I saw an unknown expression cloud over his eyes. But I didn't ponder too much on it, I need to get away from this boy right now. And so that's what I did. I limped away from him and fell onto the bed, then sliding underneath the covers to hide my embarrassment.

This seriously couldn't get any worse.

And it didn't. I was left undisturbed for a few hours, of which I spent on Netflix and ignoring the girls' texts about how Jameson and I made out as soon as we got back to our room. Yes, I am as disturbed as you are.

Just as an episode of Gossip Girl ended, someone lifted up my covers. I groaned at the sudden temperature change and was greeted by Jameson as he pressed an ice pack against my ankle. I winced at both the icy touch and at the sudden pain that hit me in the ankle. In the midst of watching episode after episode on Netflix, I had completely forgotten about the throbbing of my ankle.

"Thanks." I muttered as I sat up and took over, pressing the ice pack against my ankle. Jameson didn't leave though, instead, he sat on the end of my bed. I ignored him for a few minutes but felt very uncomfortable underneath his stare.