Chapter Forty-Nine

_________________________________

T h e H o l l o w s   O f
H I R A E    T    H
_________________________________

I laughed at his joke and Carter smiled, removing his arm from my waist as we neared the so called office. He stopped and opened the door, gesturing for me to walk in first, I smiled gratefully and made my way into the office. Carter let the door slip as he walked in, but, of course, Jameson caught it with steady hands, giving Carter's back a good glare.

Jameson's eyes caught mine after he'd finished glaring off his temper, leaving an amused glint in his eyes. I shook my head at him, a smile stuck to my lips at his childish behaviour. Completely oblivious to our silent banter, Carter had walked up to the desk and sat down on an idle chair.

The office was one you'd expect of a registration office, small and comfortable, somewhere you keep files and personal records. And the man at the desk looked as bored as you would expect for someone who works in an office, and when Carter approached him, his mood turned even more sour.

Jameson came and stood next to me as we waited for Carter, his fingers brushed against mine. Although it was accident, it didn't stop the spark of electricity that shot up from my knuckles all the way up to my arm.

If Jameson felt it too, or noticed the way that I had reacted, he certainly didn't show it. He stood still and upright, much of what you would expect from a statue—or an uptight guardian.

I shook the thoughts of him off, feeling guilty that he had distracted me from the arrival of my best friend. I'm dedicating all my time and thoughts to Carter right now, we both deserve that much. That's what I want to do, so why should I think about some guardian? A guardian that just happened to have promised to put my life before his own, yes. But Carters my best friend and–

Ugh, shut up, Sky.

I refocused when Carter was handed a piece of paper and the guy hit the table.

"I swear they have me working for nothing!" He screamed before slouching over and holding his head in his hands. I bit my lip to stop myself from laughing at his outburst.

"What does it say?" I asked Carter, who was looking dumbfounded at the slip of paper.

"It says 'yay, you can go home, you're not weird'." He joked and I rolled my eyes at him, snatching the paper from his hands.

"Oh." My face fell and I frowned.

"Guessing I don't go home then." Carter joked again but I didn't banter with him. I sensed someone behind me and was confirmed of that suspicion when I heard a voice.

"Huh, you're not a Special One." Jameson concluded and I raised my eyebrows.

"So what now?" Carter asked as I tried to register this. Quite frankly, I was wondering the same question too.

"Well," Jameson started, "Now you can work here, in the hospital, an office–"

Carter broke Jameson off, much to Jameson's disliking. "What, like this guy?" He pointed to the depressed looking guy who still had his head in his hands.

"I have ears!" That man shouted and I had to bite my tongue in order to not say something in response that would get me in trouble. Instead, I went back to the slip of
paper, and—with a sigh—scrunched it up in a ball and aimed for the bin across the room as I threw.