Chapter Ten

_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s   O f
H I R A E   T  H
_________________________________

"Sky!" My shoulders were being shaken but I only screamed at the top of my lungs, still trying to free myself from the suffocation of the dirt.

"Sky, stop!" I ignored the voice and continued shrieking, trying to claw my way through the mud.

That's when I realised—I wasn't under the earth.

I was actually in my room—in my bed. I sat up and gasped for air, choking and heaving. I was drenched in sweat and I had tear stains on my cheeks. A hand starting to rub circles on my back but I jumped away from it, scared of the slightest touch.

I looked at the culprit, "Jameson?" Jameson's eyes met mine and I broke down into sobs. It took a while for Jameson to swallow his pride, but, when he did, I found myself enveloped in his embrace. I grabbed fistfuls of his t-shirt as sobs racked my body.

Jameson stayed silent the whole time, his strong arms wound around my body being the only reminder that he was there.

When I had finally calmed, at least for now, Jameson still held me in his arms as I relaxed into his embrace. I was left heaving and gasping for air as I felt a strong sensation of numbness wash over me.

Once I had my breathing in order, I sniffled and wiped away any evidence of my sobbing. Jameson pulled away from me and held me at arms reach, examining my face. We stayed like that for a while, and I saw as an unknown emotion flashed in Jameson's eyes.

Usually, Jameson held a blank stare and had an emotionless shadow to his eyes. But right now I could see something different, but, because it was such an unfamiliar sight for me, I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was.

Jameson blinked and coughed awkwardly—the emotion left his eyes. "Are–" He cleared his throat, "Are you okay?" I glanced up at him and his eyes flitted around the room until they landed on mine. Then the look in his eyes returned.

"I–" I began before sighing, "Quite honestly, no." A small frown formed between Jameson's eyebrows. Then it was gone.

"But," I paused, "I think I will be." Jameson opened his mouth to speak but was interrupted by the door swinging open. Jameson immediately let go of me and prepared to fight.

He instead relaxed when he saw the face of what looked to be another male guardian. The boy heaved for air, "J, I think you should come down into the hall." He directed at Jameson.

"It's urgent." He added. The boy's eyes met mine and he ran a shaky hand through his hair, "Bring her." He ordered, gesturing to me. Jameson frowned but I was already at the door.

As the boys charged ahead I found my little legs straining to keep up.

"So what exactly are we dealing with here?" Jameson asked as we—they—ran down the stairs.

"Man, I don't even know what to say." The other boy replied.

I cleared my throat as we made our way down the last flight of stairs, "Who even are you?" I asked, sounding sourer than I would've wanted to.

The boy laughed, "I'm Maxwell, another guardian here." I nodded and then he led us down the corridor towards the hall.

When we got to the hall it was absolutely chaotic. People I had never seen before were standing on tables, all clustered together at the front. They were all looking towards the large TV at the end of the hall.