Chapter Eighty-Six

^ Sky's dress (on Scarlett Leithold who plays Sky) ^

"If you're still asking if you follow your brain or your heart, you probably made the wrong choice."
—#this human, 'The Hollows Of Hiraeth'
_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s O f
H    I    R    A    E T H
_________________________________

"So, can I see it?" He asks me in a strained voice, sounding gruff as the stress seemed to affect his tone, causing it to deepen.

"No," I told him defiantly, "You'll see it at the ball."

"Jesus Christ, Sky, it's not a wedding!" He exclaimed and took two strides over to me.

I refused to be intimidated by him as I finished hanging up the dress, of which was hidden in a bag, "Don't blaspheme," I scolded him first, "And if it were a wedding wouldn't I be marrying you? Seeing as I'm not showing you?" I asked him and watched as the awkwardness set in.

Before the awkward silence suffocated us, I decided to depart. "Look, I'm just going to go, it turns out you have to bring a date and, well–" I broke off and watched as Jameson nodded, his jaw clenched and knuckles white.

"Be bold." He shared the bittersweet advice and I refrained from grinning and offering my thanks. I instead settled with an awkward muffled sound that gave away how detached I truly was.

On that note, I left and ran for the hills, or rather, Carter's room. Except, upon running out, I practically ran into Carter. 

"Oh," I nearly exclaimed as I retreated and stealthily shut my dorm door in concern of Jameson overhearing—though I wouldn't put him past him to 'accidentally' hear our conversation anyway.

"I was just about to come talk to you," I greeted him with and Carter beamed at me.

"Wow, that's weird," He muttered to himself and as I had the chance to ask him what was going on, he had already started talking, and that chance left with the weird noise that fell from my lips as I was interrupted.

"I was about to come talk to you too, I felt like we haven't talked in a long while." Carter explained and his exaggeration of the word 'long' made me wonder just how long it had been without a decent conversation. A conversation? Not long. A decent conversation? Seems like forever ago. Now it just feels like I'm reminiscing the memories of our old friendship over and over as our new relationship continues to crumble from the core outwards.

"So–"

However, suddenly feeling a surge of confidence, probably induced by the amount of regret I was feeling over the tedious decaying of our relationship—whatever that relationship is, I sure don't know anymore—I intervened instantly.

"Would you like to be my ball date?" I shot at him so quickly that I think I left him reeling for a few moments. Then a big grin overtook his lips.

"That is so weird; I was literally about to ask you the same thing," He told me with disbelief, appearing seemingly happy that we appeared to share the same thoughts. I, on the other hand, was pondering the one thought we didn't share—our true feelings for each other.

"So..?" I trailed off and suddenly Carter nodded.

"Of course! Why do you even need to ask?" He laughed at me and I joined in. Maybe because I needed clarification that you haven't figured out what my true feelings are—that's all. I was genuinely happy, but I had to fake a bigger beam in order to match his overwhelming excitement.