Prologue

First posted: 13/08/16
Last posted: 13/05/17

WARNING:
This book contains the following:
-In-depth explanations (all the bloody time)
-oh I'm British (sorry?)
-The use of weapons
-Mentally challenging scenes (I'm mentally challenged)
-Scenes that can make your heart cry (trust me)
-A hell of a lot of ship names
-Also, beware of the author

There she goes

goes

goes

I'm funny.

"It's the beginning when you start a book. It's the end when you finish a book. But it's a journey when you're reading it.
—me the author, 'The Hollows Of Hiraeth'
_________________________________

T h e H o l l o w s O f
H    I    R    A    E T H
_________________________________

Z a s o l n i š t e

"In two-thousand-and-nine, a report showed that 275,000 Britons disappeared," Our own personal hell and official guardian instructor spoke out. It was a seminar on the importance of guarding a 'special one'.

I know what you're thinking: a special one? I asked the same thing. The answer: apparently, when this place was created, in two-thousand-and-nine, the date specifically the thirteenth of November, all of the people who helped in the establishment wrote diaries to document the procedure of making 'The Safe Haven' — cliché and probably a lie—but according to our teacher, they nicknamed these endangered people, ageing from birth to the age of their death, 'special ones'.

Their sadistic logic is that when a person is being hunted down every second of their lives with paper thin, sharply pointed machetes and furiously firing machine guns, they instantly become special. I don't know about you, but I'd rather have money thrown at me every second of my life, not my forthcoming death.

As well as this logic, we have the name of the academy: Zasolnište. The name is Macedonian because apparently, the many leaders from the many five countries thought it was unfair to choose just one of their languages: English, Swedish, German, Spanish and Icelandic, so they chose a completely irrelevant one to represent their act of kindness on the world to guard vulnerable people. Great logic.

I'm sorry, but school was more educational than this. Not that I'm complaining, though, at least I'm not being fed tinned baked beans and expected to fight—kill—my inmates in a thunderstorm. It was torture; taken from my hometown and put to work on the cliffs of hell. What I don't understand is how on earth are these kids expected to want to go to this Academy anyway? Sure they are promised protection but they have to leave everything behind. Just like I had to. And I didn't like it much.

"From two-thousand-and-ten and two-thousand-and-eleven, this number decreased to 216,00 individuals," The man continued to inform us, dressed in a uniform you'd expect any usual police officer to sport. Except, he isn't any usual police officer, no, this is a member from the academy's own police force. Somehow, this well thought out place has been hidden from the rest of society for quite a while, God knows how with the indefinite list of places and things they have stacked away. Did you know they even have their own court? What are people going to do? Pretend to be a 'special one'? Additionally, they even have doctors, police officers, lawyers, etc out there in the real world that work for the Academy. This place is damn crafty.