Chapter Forty-Eight

_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s O f
H    I    R    A    E T H
_________________________________

"See you around, cupcake." Toby winked at me as he brushed past me to walk out of the room.

I mentally groaned, "Cupcake? Really, Toby?" I complained but the only response I got was a very smug looking expression before he strode out. I rolled my eyes at his behaviour before slinging my bag over my shoulder.

When we got out of the classroom, Jameson and I walked side by side, well, for the most part—we had to dodge quite a few groups in the busy corridors. The classes were clearing out for break time and that means ultimate rush hour, especially for food.

A massive group of people emerged when we turned the corner and I found myself frantically trying to move past everyone. Wait, where's Jameson? I tried to focus on getting out of the huddle, but I couldn't help but worry as I had lost sight of Jameson.

Then, something brushed my hand, and then someone laced their fingers through mine, using our grasp to tug me through the crowd. Once I was free from the mess, I saw that it had been Jameson who held my hand and pulled me through the mess.

Not letting go of his hand, I nudged his shoulder with mine. "Thanks for rescuing me." I tried to thank him sincerely, but it came out more like a taunting remark.

"You say that as if it's a bad thing." Jameson laughed, not letting go of my hand either, and so we walked down the corridor to the hall hand in hand.

"No, nothing's worse than the lesson I just had." I groaned at the memory and Jameson laughed at my frustration.

"I'm glad you find it funny." I commented with a glare. Jameson chuckled but didn't make any further comment, and so we walked in a comfortable silence to the hall.

Once we neared the hall, Jameson spoke up. "So, I see Toby has taken a liking to you." Jameson commented, though it sounded rather forced when he brought it up.

I smirked, "Why? Are you jealous?" I teased and Jameson grimaced.

"No. I'm not gay." He shot back and my jaw fell. Jameson continued to walk whilst I stood still in the corridor in shock. This boy can actually do comebacks? When our hands tugged at each other, since they were still entwined,  Jameson turned around and rolled his eyes, pulling me to his side.

"Move out of the way, Sky." He instructed me, making me realise that I had been in the way of people trying to get past. The embarrassment of the moment had me in giggles as we walked into the hall, the chatter, that filled the room, drowning out my cackles.

Jameson heard it, however, and turned around to look at me as if I was insane. Nonetheless, he let out a single noted laugh and dragged me through the hall. I couldn't look at Jameson, or I'm pretty sure I would laugh louder than the halls noise. That's loud.

So, instead, I looked up as Jameson scouted out seats for us. That's when my eyes caught something that made my heart stop. He was talking, with His body angled away from me, but I knew it was Him instantly. I'm pretty sure the whole world stopped as I tried to put the pieces together.

As if I had called out His name, He turned around, His eyes frantically searching for something. That's when I realised, I had called out His name. I didn't even know where Jameson was anymore, or what He was doing, but, as His sapphire eyes met mine, I didn't care.

His face displayed what I was feeling—shock, disbelief, longing. It was all mixed up to create a wonderful expression on His model featured face. Without contemplating, I rushed up to Him, not worrying how many people I was bashing into on the way, and I crashed into Him.