Chapter Seventy-Four

_________________________________

T h e H o l l o w s   O f
H I R A E    T    H
_________________________________

"Barbecue, yeah?" Carter double checks with me and I nod with a smile on my face. I was wandering around his room, looking at all his new stuff. The belongings he had acquired were making me feel a strong sense of nostalgia, and I next wondered if the theme for his room was melancholy.

The walls were cream; boring and suitable for both genders, like in any other room. I had seen Cassie's drab walls decorated with a thin strip of wallpaper and some posters. There is apparently a place in this academy where you can pick up such decorative items—it seems that the academy has some connection to the world in order to receive supplies. I'd have to ask Jameson about that later.

Carter didn't seem to have gotten the memo as his room seemed pretty boring to the eye. It almost gave me anxiety, the fact that Carter had yet to dress his room up. Back home, his personality was reflected in the theme of his room. There were many sporting trophies—and many shoe boxes—laying around and maybe the walls were just plain old blue, but at least it meant something to him. This room must be the supreme definition of depression.

Carter put the phone down after ordering the pizza I was sure to get had I stayed with the girls. But of course—I hadn't. Then, weirdly, I began thinking about Jameson; would he eat alone now that I had joined Carter for the last supper? Exaggeration. No, Sky, stop being self-centred; you're not the only person he knows.

"What are you thinking about?" Carter asked me as he plopped down on his bed, leaning on his elbow as he watched me move around his room. My body was angled away from him yet he had still been able to catch me in my moments of thoughts.

"Just how depressingly boring you're room is," I swivelled around to smile at him with a shrug, "But hey, at least it's original." I added and he rolled his eyes at me. I joined him on the bed, laying next to him and resting my head onto the pillow as I looked into his hazel eyes. I slapped away the voice that reminded me that Jameson's sapphire ones were much more captivating.

"So how's your leg?" I asked him, trying to spark up a conversation before a blanket of awkwardness settled. Carter smiled and reached out, his index finger twirling a lock of my hair.

"It's fine, do you want to check?" Between the husky tone and the flirtatious remark, I really don't know which made me grimace more. I somewhat tried to transform the grimace into a grin and in turn Carter laughed at me.

"Oh, Skyie." Carter commented as he wiped a fake tear away from his eye. I scowled and slapped his chest, pursing my lips at the nickname. I hadn't heard it in a while, but it seems that it would be making a reappearance. I could barely stand the thought of that.

"Okay," Carter calmed down after hysterically laughing and held out his pinky finger. "Pinky promise I won't call you Skyie anymore." He offered and I rolled my eyes before interlocking my pinky with his.

"Good making a deal with you, Skyie." Carter purposely lets the nickname roll off his tongue, and doesn't look phased by it as he displays a sly smirk.

"I hate you!" I screech before pushing him down on the bed and hitting him in the chest. Carter laughed at me and I grabbed a pillow, whacking him straight in the face. Good. Carter wriggled around, and, embarrassingly for me, it seemed as if the few training sessions he had attended were paying off. I learned this the hard way as Carter flipped us over—though not as graceful as Jameson would perform the move—snagged the pillow I was clutching and hit me in the face—hard.