Chapter Thirty-Three

_________________________________

T h e H o l l o w s   O f
H I R A E    T    H
_________________________________

All of the guardians were staring at me. I spotted Jameson instantly and a wave of relief washed over me at the sight of him.

"Sky, what are you doing here?" His voice was like velvet to my ears and I wrapped myself in the comfort it provided.

"There's someone following me," I breathed out as I lent against the wall for support. My legs were aching, my knees were sore, I was too out of breath for speech and my hands were clammy.

I willed–forced myself to move, then rushed over to him, "With a gun." I added and the guardians sprang into action, eyes wide and their bodies tense. A gun shot was heard from the depths of the vent and Jameson pushed me behind him, keeping a hand on my waist to hold me still.

I leaned into him and tried to settle my trembling hands by grabbing fistfuls of his shirt. The last time I came face to face with someone chasing me, they held a gun out at me and had actually shot at me. The time before that, I nearly died.

You can understand how mortified I am.

"Put the gun down." A male ordered and I squeezed my eyes shut as I heard shuffling. I pressed my face against Jameson's back in fear and I felt as his hand tightened its grip on my waist.

"Hand the girl over, and I'll put it down." The voice was female, and I could feel as Jameson tensed as he spoke. I could feel my own body do the same. I didn't recognise the voice, which I guess is fortunate since that means the person has never met me. But still, it gave me shivers.

I dared to peak out from behind Jameson's frame but Jameson pushed me back. When nothing happened, I turned to my right and laced my fingers through Jameson's right hand, using his hand for support.

Jameson held my hand tightly and I was grateful for that, since, I had a feeling that if he had recoiled at my touch, I would most likely be freaking out right now. Jameson's touch was offering me comfort and I tried to find ways to calm the trembles racking my body.

"I'll kill all of you if I have to. I will get her." The female voice and a quiet whimper escaped my lips, one I'm sure only Jameson would've been able to have heard. He squeezed my hand and I tried to calm my clenching chest with deep breaths.

All of a sudden, I felt the warmth of Jameson escape my hold as I was yanked off him. A scream escaped my lips as I felt my world tilt. Someone had thrown me over their shoulder and was running at a great speed with me.

I kicked and punched the person wherever I could, thrashing around in their hold, trying to escape. The person groaned slightly but my attacks just weren't strong enough. Then the person fell—and I went smashing through a window.

My arms started to flail around, trying to grab hold of something to hang onto. There was some sort of windowsill to my right and I reached out for it. My hands waved around desperately for a while, until I grasped the windowsill with both hands and slammed into the wall.

My legs were the main thing that went smashing into the wall, and the pain was hard to ignore as I hung from the windowsill. The sweat that had collected in my palms was making it hard to hold onto the ledge and I felt myself slowing slipping.

Frustration and desperation to hold on was slowly killing me and I felt wet droplets run down my cheeks—I didn't know if they were tears or trickles of sweat. I slipped slightly and only my fingers were still on the ledge. I cried out as I realised I was nearing my death.