Chapter Ninety-Seven: Part One

________________________________

T h e H o l l o w s   O f
H I R A E    T    H
_________________________________

Two hours on, tiredness still hadn't reached me, and I traced the skin of the back of my hand, remembering how Jameson and I had waltzed around carelessly. Under his gaze I believed I was irrevocably invincible, as I was irrevocably in love with him. Vivid memories glittered across my minds eye like a dream; we had danced like a dream.

Then another knock at the door pulled me out of it. Jameson grinned at me, and I dreamily gazed at him as if opening a door was the sexiest thing going. In stumbled Cassie and Avery; Saph had already made an appearance, and we'd talked for ages, but she had to leave, on behalf of her guardian. And so, here stood the other half of our crazy friendship group, thrusting more presents into my hands.

"Saph texted us saying that 'Sky Forest should not be left alone on her birthday' as soon as she departed." Avery told me, trying to embrace me as I held a growing pile of presents in my arms, almost cradling them to my chest.

"So here we are!" Cassie exclaimed and dropped her gift bag. Her eyes widened and she gasped, then, muttering to herself, she collected discarded items and then appeared to bless the broken bag on the floor. Completely struck by her insane nature, I turned away to see Avery pulling the exact same expression as me, the 'what the hell is this girl doing now?' expression.

"RIP." Cassie whispered and I continued to stare at her, until I noticed that everyone else was staring at her. I clapped my hands together, hoping I'd snap her away from her crazy soul.

"Let's open these presents, then." I smiled and Cassie seemed to forget about the fallen bag, and I watched as Jameson sneaked over and threw it into the bin without any eyes but mine seeing. Jameson realised this and flashed me a small smile. I was about to return it when Cassie thrust a small box that was wrapped in blue. I accepted it gratefully and began tearing off the paper.

It presented itself as a jewellery box and I raised my eyebrow at Cassie, who looked oddly worried. I slipped off the box lid and, behold, crystal earrings which were very similar to the necklace Saph had given me, with a crystal charm threaded through the metal links. I smiled at Cassie and she grinned back, then Avery pulled something out of her bag.

"I suppose you'll expecting this now." She told me as she passed another box into the palm of my hands. Upon unwrapping it, I soon realised that it was yet another jewellery box. I took the lid off and laughed when I saw the last piece to the set—a crystal charmed bracelet. I admired the new additions to my jewellery selection before placing them down on the bed and pulling the girls in for a hug.

But they were yet to be done; after the two had presented me with numerous heartfelt presents, and more humorous presents, they handed me an A4 sized scrapbook. The whole thing was filled with pictures and memories of us over the past five months.

"Saph contributed." Avery was sure to tell me and I snickered as I flicked through the pages. Half were mugs of me and the girls—courtesy of Saph. But some were actual, sentimental memories. They ranged from group selfies taken from my hospital bed back when I had been attacked with a knife, to yesterday, glamorous dresses clinging to our frames and gleeful grins seizing our lips.

I gazed at it for a while, just thinking, if you told me about this moment of overwhelming joy five months ago when I first arrived, I would have laughed in your face, then cried over the loss of my old life—my old happiness. Of course, I still feel a gaping hole—a lacuna—in my chest whenever I am reminded of all the people I lost when I came here. Just as I was painfully reminded of Carter's unknown whereabouts, I was pulled out from thoughts and thrust back into reality.