Chapter Seventy

^ Imagine: Avery and Kim ^

_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s O f
H    I    R    A    E T H
_________________________________

Jameson was right: I was feeling quite cold. Because of Jameson's earlier foreshadowing, I had decided to slip my kimono back on, not that a sheer piece of material blocked out much of the cold but at least I looked fashionable.

For me, less clothing meant my birthday, and—with a frown—I realised that it also meant summer break. Which explains nothing when I'm in school.

Cassie's current babble about how "it's not legal for it to be summer whilst being cloudy and windy" soon came to a close, after many disapproving head shakes from Avery and sarcastic remarks from Saph. So, I decided to start up a conversation before someone else beat me to it.

"So do the summer holidays exist here?" I asked and Avery and Cassie turned to look at me, both with completely different expressions that told me I was missing something.

Next to me, Saph laughed, "Told you I'd win; Jameson hasn't told her." The girl then proceeded to require hi-fives from all of us.

I rolled my eyes, "So?.." I prodded at them and Avery, thankfully, got the hint. Before she could speak, though, Cassie sat up and started to talk.

"Well, let me tell you a little bit about summer breaks:" Cassie announced and I opened my mouth to give her my input but she carried on talking.

"Summer breaks happen every year at summer time." She told me with a quick nod of clarification and I frowned. The problem was, Cassie was actually being serious.

"So.. Is that the end of the seminar?" I asked her and Saph snorted whilst Avery hid a giggle behind her hand. Cassie nodded before Avery was finally able to start talking.

"Here the breaks are a little topsy turvy," Avery started as I pushed my plate aside and plucked my cookie from the side of my tray.

"I honestly couldn't tell." I commented sarcastically and Saph slapped a hand over her mouth after taking a sip of her coke. Avery rolled her eyes and Cassie silently chuckled to herself.

"Our summer holidays start later and end later, from August fifteenth to October fifth, got it?" Avery informed me and I frowned.

"Why?" I asked.

Avery shrugged, "Something about the darker evenings," She answered and Saph snorted.

"And the increased rate of deaths in that time." Saph whispered to me, her hand covering her mouth. Avery glared at Saph and I wondered if she had super human hearing.

"Somehow, by starting the summer break later, the school keeps us away from the main points of the academy during the darker evenings." Avery continued despite Saph's input and I smiled at their relationship.

"It's just when the school gets freakish about us; it's a fact that people attack in the dark." Avery told me, her fists still clenched from what Saph had put in.

"But isn't the schools guard system like, I don't know, amazing?" I asked and, this time, it was Cassie who snorted—I'm actually starting to think that I have hybrid human-pigs for friends.