Chapter Twenty-Seven

_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s O f
H    I    R    A    E T H
_________________________________

"Jameson?" The boy in question and I were walking down the corridor, back to our room, when questions had sprung into my mind. Since I had been here, I had yet to uncover any answers about this whole 'Special One' business. And because of the recent events, and the riddle about the blood that I had been given, I felt inclined to be given this knowledge.

"Hmm?" Jameson's response was barely audible and I rolled my eyes.

"Why am I here?" I asked him and he came to an abrupt and uncharacteristic stop, turning to stare at me. The look he gave me was hard to decipher but I saw a frown make its way between his brows. Then Jameson turned back around to continue walking back to our room.

"Because it isn't safe." He told me simply and I shook my head, speeding up so that I was in his view.

"Why isn't it safe?" I shot the next question. Jameson sighed and ran a hand over his face.

"Because people are trying to kill you." He answered and shot me an annoyed look, to which I responded with just as an annoyed one.

"I mean, why are people trying to kill me?" I pressed and Jameson stopped walking.

"Bloody hell, Sky!" He exclaimed and pulled at his hair in frustration. Calming down he added, "What is this? Twenty questions?" He shook his head at me and started to walk off again.

"I just want to know." I proceeded onwards with a desperate tone, served up with an innocent shrug.

"So would I." Jameson muttered under his breath. It was so quiet that I thought I had imagined it. I did a double take.

"You what?" I asked in shock. If Jameson didn't know... God, what is this place? Jameson ignored me and turned a corner. I ran to catch up with him and grabbed his arm.

"What do you mean?" I asked, "What you just said, what did you mean?" I demanded and I saw as Jameson clenched his jaw. I shifted so that I was directly in front of Jameson. He looked anywhere but at me.

"Jameson." I shook his arm that I held in my hand.

"I mean," Jameson pried his arm out of my hold without much force. "I would like to know the answer to your questions too." Jameson responded but still wouldn't look at me.

"So you don't know? You don't know why you're even guarding me?" I exclaimed as I threw my hands up in the air. Jameson caught them and brought them back down to my side.

He leaned in so close I could count his eyelashes, feel the puffs of his breath against my skin. "I don't know specifically," He confirmed, "But I sure as hell won't let that be the reason you get killed." The tone of his voice lowered, and although the comment was probably intended to sound sincere, it sounded more deathly.

I flinched at his sour tone and looked at his face, my eyes absorbing all of his features. I'd never noticed—but Jameson wasn't all that bad looking. Jameson cleared his throat once he realised what I was doing and let go of my arms. He brushed past me and started to march down the corridor, acting unfazed.