Chapter Sixty-Two

"I blamed myself, yet I didn't hold the gun. I didn't take the life. But somehow, it was still my fault. So I blamed myself."
— .. Me (again), 'The Hollows Of Hiraeth'
_________________________________

T h e H o l l o w s   O f
H I R A E    T    H
_________________________________

"He's fine–"

"Well then you'd better take me to the hospital then." I told her, jumping up, ignoring the numbing sharp pain in the bottom of my foot. The girl still looked startled but stood up with me nonetheless.

"Visiting hours are–"

"Do I look like I care about your next comment?" I asked her and she stared at me. I picked a little bit of annoyance out of her dumbfounded expression, probably because of my insistent interruptions.

"No.." She trailed off.

"Probably because I don't." I snapped and she held her hands up at me in mock surrender. I took a deep breath and waited for her permission.

She sighed, displeased with her next words, "Fine. But you're going to need shoes." She told me, dropping her hands and walking over to the back of the hall.

"Shoes?" I asked stupidly and made a face. "Why would I need shoes?" In response, the girl, who's name I had yet to learn, handed me a pair of black Nike trainers from a sports bag.

"Because you're not wearing any." She told me with obvious reason in her tone and I glanced down at my feet. Oh. I'm not wearing any shoes.

After slipping on the shoes and learning the strangers name was Mia, said stranger and I were now making our way steadily to the hospital. I didn't let the pain in my foot distract me. I wouldn't. Jameson is way more important than some graze at the bottom of my foot.

Upon arrival, I noticed that the hospital was still a mess and a nearby nurse soon directed us out of the way, and to the room they were keeping Jameson in. It was an old and deserted corridor and I turned my nose up at it on arrival. But as long as it kept Jameson safe, I didn't care much for the conditions of the hallway.

I looked over at Mia to see her standing upright by the corridor entrance.

She gestured to the door, "Go in then." Jerking a thumb at it when I didn't move. I nodded at her, satisfied that she would stay out here whilst I checked on Jameson.

I timidly twisted the door handle and was greeted with an inhuman scene in front of me.

Jameson actually laying down, with his eyes closed.

This is a completely unnatural phenomenon. I found myself staring at him, admiring him in this out of place position. Then his eyes fluttered open. I pushed the door closed behind me and watched as Jameson eyes reached mine.

"Sky?" He asked, his voice straining. With no response on the brain, I just stood there and watched him adjust. He tried to sit up but let out a grunt in pain. I winced for him and ran over to him to usher him down and scold him.

"What're you doing?" I asked him in a rush, with astonishment in my tone as I pushed him back down.

"Sitting up?" He told me but I shook my head. Jameson rolled his eyes before slumping back down. I sat down in the visitors chair next to the bed and watched as Jameson watched me.