Chapter Ninety-One

"Blood is cold and full of flames, it burns with the ferocity of a malicious mystery."
—#youknowwho, 'The Hollows Of Hiraeth'
_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s O f
H    I    R    A    E T H
_________________________________

The voice was strong, confident and was spoken from behind me. I turned around once more, unsurprised to see Avery as the owner of the voice, holding Cassie's hand as a sign of solidarity.

Saph hesitated before pushing herself up awkwardly. It was weird seeing her like this, usually she wasn't one to be ashamed, and instead emitted every burst of confidence she could. Now, she looked like a dark tunnel as she stood next to Avery's shining bravery.

"I did too." Saph put in, her voice remaining calm although she looked as if she was struggling physically to be strong in this moment.

"You're done." A soft voice murmured in my ear as I admired the strength and unity of my friends in a situation like this. I knew who it was, and I leaned into the persons chest for a few seconds before regaining my previous posture. I was about to turn away and sit down when the Judge piped up, the shrill of her voice startling me.

"Anybody else?" Those two words bounced off the walls, the reverb echo probably giving me permanent ear damage at this stage in the trial. The Judge directed the question at me, I soon realised, and I was about to respond when I sensed Jameson tense next to me. Jameson. Jameson knew.

I shook my head, even opening my mouth to tell her no. Jameson would get in so much trouble for this. "No it–"

Jameson broke me off.

"I did, your Honour." The hall went silent. Jameson managed to remember his manners, but I wonder where he left his common sense. Why would he do that? I could've lied ourselves out of that one—he wouldn't have to get into trouble.

The Judge did a double take. I didn't blame her.

"Skande!" She yelled as she hit the table in front of her with her fist, losing her temper with us by the second. I jumped slightly, surprised by her outburst and also by the change in language. Between all the ashamed answers and lingering looks, I hadn't detected an accent in her voice. Now I heard it. It's European, maybe som–

"Court dismissed! Leave!" She screamed, stress just a whisper away from eating her up. I cringed and looked up at Jameson, he too wore an expression of how I felt. Disgrace. Guilt. However, he wasn't trembling in fear.

"Jameson," The Judge called out before we turned and left. "We will discuss this tomorrow at the meeting." She told him, her voice wavering, teetering on the thin wire that held her above the fall of losing her temper. I saw Jameson gulp. So he is trembling in fear. He gave her a sincere nod before grabbing my wrist and pulling me out of the courtroom.

Once we were out, I didn't care if we were surrounded by spectators or not, Jameson should not have done that. I ripped my arm out of his grasp.

"Are you insane?" I yelled and Jameson's eyes widened by a fraction before they flitted around us, looking embarrassedly at all the eyes that were about to witness my major meltdown.

"What on earth were you thinking?" I yelled, continuing on as if there were no curious murmurs around us. You can imagine the scene, blonde haired teenage girl dressed to the nines in a glamorous cobalt gown, screaming at a raggedy looking, also dressed to the nines, fine gentleman who looks rather shamefaced.

"We could've lied you out of that! Are you serious right now, Jameson?" I continued onwards despite my disgraceful description of the scene playing out in front of us. Starring me—the screwup of the century. Jameson huffed before yanking me over to the corner of the room by my lower arm. Nearly falling over, I managed to think of another snide remark, except, this time, Jameson actually spoke up.