Chapter Twenty-Eight

^ (CAN I JUST SAY, THAT PHOTO REMINDS ME OF #SKYSON AND IDK WHY) ^

_________________________________

T h e H o l l o w s   O f
H I R A E    T    H
_________________________________

"So you want answers?" Saph lugged another heavy book up from the shelf and dropped it onto the table I had found in a small—kind of cosy—corner of the Academy's library. The table jolted and a loud thud echoed around the walls and I felt grateful that I had chosen the corner. Although I had been thinking about protecting my curious intentions from prying eyes, it doesn't hurt to avoid being told off by nagging librarians either.

"Yes, to my questions." I continued as I filed through the books she was handing me.

"Well, that's the definition of an answer by Sky Forest right there," Saph retorted with a short laugh, however, when I narrowed my eyes at her, she dropped the laugh—and another book.

"So, your interested in finding out why you're here?" She continued the conversation as she slipped into a chair next to me. I nodded, and then Saph sighed.

"Look, I've been here for a while–"

"And you know nothing, I know." I finished for her and pushed a book towards her side of the table for her to read and scan for answers.

"Wait, how'd you know?" The shock in her voice was just as evident on her face when I looked up.

"I asked Jameson my questions, he said he didn't know either." I sighed and pushed my hair out of my face.

Saph raised her eyebrows, "He doesn't know?" Saph spoke to herself instead of me yet the shock was still audible.

"Just read." I ordered and found my place in the book I had been reading before the disruption.

"Read what?" Saph asked and I looked up at her to raise my eyebrows at her. "I mean, what am I looking for?" She reiterated as she rolled her eyes at my unspoken response.

I smiled, glad that my friend had some sanity. "Look for anything that relates to the whole guarding 'Special One' thing." I explained and she nodded, ducking her head to begin reading.

We were about ten minutes into our reading and nothing had come up. I had gone through three books, somehow, one containing pictures of some well-known guardians that I couldn't be bothered to look through. Saph was on her second but was slowly losing concentration, and then she lost all of it when a hot boy sat at our table.

"That looks like some hardcore revision." He retorted as he gestured to all our books in a mess on the table. He definitely struck me as the bad boy player type and that instantly threw me off.

"I'm new here, I wanted to catch up on what has been taught." I told him more sourly than I had intended to. The boy's eyes widened slightly at my retort as if he was shocked that I would respond with such attitude. To be honest, I was kind of surprised I had done that too.

He easily fell back into his bad boy demeanour, though. "And," he picked up one of our books. "'The Most Successful Guardians to Grace the Earth' was on the curriculum?" His question was more directed at Saph than at me since she would know the curriculum.

However, I didn't hear a witty response from her. I frowned at the silence, Saph would always have a quipped retort on the tip of her tongue no matter what the circumstances were. I looked over to her to see her in a daze and practically drooling over the boy.

I rolled my eyes and threw a book at her. She snapped her head in my attention and her eyes narrowed.

"What the hell?" She hissed at me and I bit my tongue to hold back my laugh. A snigger from the seat next to me had me turning my attention back to the boy who seemed quite amused by our small brawl.