Chapter Twenty-One

^ The new person ;) ^

_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s   O f
H I R A E   T  H
_________________________________

Cassie fell into the table, knocking off my water. I shook my head with a grin on my face before Avery grabbed my attention.

"So, you remember the chat we had when that urgent guardian meeting popped up?" Avery asked me—I was still in the hospital room, but the girls had come to visit me; they were asked to come in to jog my memory a bit.

I thought it was pretty unfair that I wasn't told what happened yet. The girls have yet to leak the story to me, but I'll get them to spill–somehow.

"Yeah, when we had that chat about Cassie's new lover boy." I teased and Saph snorted from where she was sat on the seat—Avery and her were both squished on the drab blue lounging chair. It was quite a comfortable addition to the room actually. Well, I can't account for this, but Jameson sleeps regularly on it so it should be fine.

Cassie picked up my water bottle from where she had left it and randomly decided to throw it at me. All the girls, including Cassie, gasped as they watched the bottle fly through the air.

Thankfully, a couple of self-defence lessons had paid off and had honoured me with faster reflexes. I ducked my head and the bottle skimmed my skull, hitting the wall behind me with a thud. The girls all let out a chorus of relieved sighs and I just about joined in too.

Suddenly, an eruption of giggles bounced off the walls. We all looked in the same direction to see Cassie clutching her stomach and laughing her head off. I turned to Saph and frowned, her eyes telling me that she was thinking the same thing. Is this girl delirious? Or just high?

The giggles came to an abrupt close when my bottle of water hit Cassie's face. For a second, I was confused—and then Avery spoke up.

"Don't throw bottles at the injured!" She shouted at Cassie, using her stern and scolding tone. I let out a short laugh, being careful not to laugh too hard or for too long because of my wound.

Cassie stomped her foot, cutting off my laughter, "Don't throw bottles at the face!" She shrilled back, running a finger over her nose gently.

"I think the injured is more important than your face!" Avery stood up and argued.

"Ergh," Cassie groaned, "Ovary, just shut up." Saph let out a loud cackle of laughter and I chucked way too hard. Ouch.

"Do I look like an ovary to you?" Avery shot back but Cassie wasn't paying attention as she observed her reflection in her pocket mirror, but then she looked up at Avery and shrugged as her naturally wide eyes appeared to be analysing Avery.

But then, turning back to the mirror, Cassie murmured a response, "More or less so." Her words being stumbled upon because her focus was centred entirely on her reflection.

Avery choked and her eyes narrowed, just a small gesture signalling a big feud. Saph held her hand up to stop the forthcoming dispute. "We are here for Sky, not to listen to you idiots squabble." She intervened, a hint of annoyance ringing clear in her voice.

Cassie nodded, but Avery opened her mouth again, "We were not squabbling!" She declared and Saph nodded her head, a smile glued to her face. This was the kind of thing I would expect Alexi to do. It was sarcastic—as if she was saying, "Yeah, sure." I mentally sighed; here I go again with the past life dramatics.