Chapter 28

Kara and Lena have now left Lena and Lori's apartment, leaving Lori alone in Alex's capable hands. Once the door to the apartment closes, Lori literally turns around and looks up at Alex with a big smile on her face. Alex can't help but smile back, as Lori's smile seems to be infectious.

"Okay, little one, what do you want to do now?" Alex asks, with a smile.

"UNO!" Lori says, excitedly.

"Okay. Okay." Alex says, with a chuckle, "I got a pack of Uno cards with me, as I wasn't sure if you had any here, as I know we were playing with Kara's before."

"Oooo.... No.... we don't." Lori says, growing a look of realisation on her face.

"Well, it's a good thing I brought a set of them then, isn't it?" Alex says, with a smile.

"Yes." Lori nods.

Lori now grabs Alex's hand, and leads her in the direction of the dining room table in Lena's kitchen area of her penthouse, which is also open plan into the living room. Lori and Alex each then proceed to take a seat, with Alex getting the set of Uno cards out of her bag, opening them, and beginning to shuffle them.

"Do you remember how to play, Lori?" Alex asks, "Or do you need me to remind you?"

"I remember." Lori says, cutely.

"Okay, well, if you get stuck, or can't remember, just ask me, and I'll tell you." Alex says, with a smile.

"Okay." Lori nods, happily.

Alex then begins dealing the cards, and their game begins. Although, Alex knows that it's not really going to be much of a game, because she is going to let Lori win most of the time, as who would want to constantly beat someone as cute as Lori in a card game?

Meanwhile, Kara and Lena have just made it outside of Lena's apartment, with Lena's driver waiting for the two of them, to then take them to their first location of their date. Lena and Kara have both arranged this in advance, deciding to use Lena's driver, to save them from walking, or one of them from driving. This way Kara can just tell Lena's driver where they are going, and he can take them there easily, while also giving Lena and Kara some room to sit together and chat in the back of the car.

Once Kara and Lena get inside Lena's driver's car, Kara gives the location of the mini-golf course to the driver, which happens to be right near the National City seafront, and they soon set off, with Lena closing the divider giving herself and Kara some privacy. The two simply nervously look at each other, with smiles on their faces, almost like they are silly teenagers, with crushes, who are going out on a date for the first time.

"You..... look really pretty tonight." Kara says.

"Oh, really?" Lena says, "I..... thank you.... You look beautiful too."

"Thank you." Kara smiles.

There is then a silence in the car, with neither Kara or Lena knowing what to say next.

"I uhmmmm...... Kara.... you should know.... I..... I'm very out of practice at...... doing all this....." Lena says.

"What do you mean?" Kara asks, curiously.

Lena sighs after Kara says that.

"It's just...... I haven't actually dated anyone since..... since Jack." Lena says.

"Jack." Kara says, "Is that...."

"Lori's father." Lena says, cutting Kara off before she can even ask her question.

"I see." Kara nods, "What..... if you don't mind me asking.... What happened to him? I.... I get the feeling that he's dead?"

"Yes. He is." Lena nods, "Jack and I..... we went to university together. We really hit it off, and share such similar interests in science. We started off with a friendship, but it soon turned into something more as the years went by of us being in university. However, I soon found out I was pregnant, an accident, as we had been careful. I told Jack even if the child was an inconvenience, as it was not ideal timing, I was going to keep her. Jack, for his part completely panicked, and he ran away. He ran all the way back to England, leaving me devastated, and some really dark thoughts going through my head. It was..... it was actually Lillian, who for the first time in my life, finally stepped up for me, and took care of me, and helped me recover. Just as I did, I finally got word from Jack that he was returning to the US, and he wanted to make up for everything he'd done, and be there for me, and the baby. He told me he, and his parents, were flying out to Boston to meet me, as at the time we were studying at MIT. However, the private jet he and his parents flew on, was lost at sea. The wreckage was eventually found, and the bodies of the pilots, but nothing else. Either way, I know they didn't survive."