Lucy Bronze x Reader (32)

That was not what she'd expected at all. YFN had done her research and put her own puzzle pieces together, though her theory had missed the mark by a significant amount.

"I know what you're thinking."

YFN couldn't even close her mouth.

She walked closer, lightly treading with elegance as if to not scare her away. When she was close, her eyes lingered on the scar cutting her eyebrow with empathy.

YFN managed to find herself and cleared her throat. "Your misdirection was very believable."

"I was worried the voice would give it away." She said almost shyly. Her voice was more regal now, less...common? Clever.

YFN's relief must have been clear, and she didn't realise herself just how worried she'd been. "And my misdirection was not entirely untrue..." She gestured around her. "This is her house."

They were standing in the house of JK Rowling. The woman she'd assumed she was meeting. It all made sense, didn't it? Joe. Lumos. When she'd originally started researching the company, she'd come across the other Lumos, the charity founded by Joe. Though, she made sure to not hold any assumptions going into their meeting.

"Why her?" She asked, knowing it was a little rude to do so. "Why hide behind someone the public hates so vehemently?"

"I needed someone with power, someone rich, someone people could believe had the capabilities of doing so."

"So Lumos is a branch of her company?"

"No...it's my company, my money. I spoke to Joe about the idea of using her as a bit of an alias, as well as using the same name as her charity."

"But...why hide at all?" She really didn't understand. She was wealthy, powerful and beyond all else... "People adore you."

"I thought about it, trust me. But how would that look, having me try to lift the women's game? It would look like a publicity stunt, like they needed me when they don't. I need them to show that they can do it themselves. They have the motivation, the will, the support and now they have you. At least, I still hope they do?"

YFN was fully aware now that up until this point, she'd been disillusioned as to the identity of 'Joe', right down to the reason that she'd chosen her. She was a writer. Exactly what Joe herself would have done. This was a better scenario, though the fact that her guise was the infamous author would not be well received. She didn't try to understand the complexities of it all. Looking beyond all of that, she knew that the person she'd spoken to on the phone was genuinely passionate. Caring. Hard-working. She understood that she had been a victim of her title and knew deep down that they could accomplish incredible things together.

"They still do..."

"Tea is prepared in the estate room, ma'am." Benjamin interrupted politely.

"There's hot chocolate too, YFN." She promised with a lovely smile that begged to be photographed.

How did she know?

"Thanks, Kate."

"Cath, please. Only the media calls me Kate."

"Did you ever have any intention of meeting me?"

To her credit, Catherine was very similar the person she was presented as in public, however the more time they spent together, the more liberated she became with her thoughts. YFN realised how much of a burden it must have been, stuck under the thumb of royal obligation and public expectation, though in this room, there were just the two of them.