11 - Across the Table

I found it hard to stop staring at Emily and our facial similarities struck me. The same distinctive high forehead, but whereas I had green eyes and Italian looks she was leaner, taller with Irish looks and a blue mesmerizing gaze. The situation seemed strange but nonetheless exciting.

We both sat there in silence, unmoving staring at each other in odd fascination. I heard a clock chiming in the distance as the hour struck and I felt a distinct ice cold chill run down my back as nervousness hit me. Still silence hanged between us as Emily appeared to look at me with trepidation.

She shuffled in her chair, and then looked behind me but before I had a chance to investigate further, Emily made a noise as if appearing to clear her throat and spoke.

"It's kind of weird we look similar isn't it?" she said.

Then Emily fidgeted again before she uttered, "it likes a certain type!"

I found myself nervously smiling back at her, despite feeling uncomfortable with the comment.

"Well, yes, we seem to have a few similarities," I said hesitantly.

"'I love your outfit," said Emily.

I took a breath, relaxing slightly, "it's an illusion of smoke and mirrors," I laughed, 'honestly, I buy all my clothes in sales and use my sewing machine to make fit properly," I said "Oh and I change the buttons. It makes them look expensive." My voice was blabbering on nervously, when all the time, my head was wondering, why she didn't get to the point.

"Wow really, great tip, you could have fooled me. Wish I could sew," said Emily.

"My grandmother taught me and it's a bit of necessity being petite and most of my clothes need altering," I explained.

The waitress came over and brought over Emily's order and we appeared again to be in no man's land – with neither knowing what to say next.

Frustration was at breaking point. Time was rolling on and it was getting late. I needed to know what she wanted from me. The suspense was killing me.

Whatever this was all about, it was obviously important to her, or why would she have followed me?

I offered her my hand, thinking it might move things on and it might stop her chewing her fingernails. I had this overpowering feeling that she needed a friend.

"Emily, look we can't wait here all night. Whatever it is, just please, tell me. I need to know."

She felt hot and clammy as I grabbed her hand in friendly support. Blue eyes gazed back, but through me, not at me, appearing to be on the verge of tears. Thinking someone else had caught her eye, I looked briefly over my shoulder but gained no insight as the café was full to bursting.

"Is anything the matter?" I asked as Emily refocused on me and let out a deep sigh.

"I'm sorry;" said Emily whilst fidgeting with the ends of her hair, and tucking a loose strand behind her ear "I'm told I have a tendency to emmm procrastinate."

Edit 8 October 2017 - PALH

Thanks talented writers and Wattpad  friends anupamarc henry_scott  linahanson  h_coyle JesseSprague MysteryPuppet for your helpful insights in assisting me with this edit.  Deep thanks.

Special thanks.. to a very special person on wattpad if you haven't happened to meet him yet, please check out his works...OwainGlyn...I want to thank him so much for taking the time to regularly read my works and comment. He is such a talented writer, his Windswept poems are amazing and will be published shortly. His comments always make my day. Thank you so much Owain you are an absolute gem.

BEFORE U GO....

If you liked this chapter please click the star before you  go, 

be great if you  have time to leave a comment

Many thanks Kimberley S B Lieb

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission by the author.