51 - One Glass Too Many?

I was concentrating so hard, that when I felt Jarod's hand on my shoulder, it made me jump and gently he pulled my earplugs out.

"Athina, you okay? I called you several times?" he said.

"Oh, sorry, I was so involved in this piece of work, that I didn't hear you," I said to him with a smile.

"Did you get any bargains down the market today?" Jarod asked me.

I must have looked confused, as I knew I hadn't mentioned to him what I was up today. So when I didn't answer, he then said, "I assumed you went down there when you weren't at your desk".

It seemed a logical explanation as I responded. "Yes, I got something to eat and had a wander but I bought nothing this time. Sometimes, I just like to take in the atmosphere".

Jarod nodded in understanding as he asked, "Do you want to join me and Sophia for dinner tonight? I thought we could get take out"

"That would be lovely, but I need to go home afterwards and check my post okay? I can't stay," I responded.

"That's fine," he said and just as he was leaving added, "I'll pass by when I finish up, we can go home together," and I nodded.

The afternoon flew by so fast it seemed only minutes before he was back at my desk, saying it was time to go. Jarod seemed in a great mood and keen to leave, as he chivied me along and grabbed my bag and jacket for a quick exit, urging me to follow.

I caught up with him and we laughed together. As I grabbed his hand and with the other swooped and collected my things.

When we reached the car park, he stopped abruptly. Turning towards me, he pushed me against the car, kissing me, long and hard. When I tried to pull away, he pulled me closer, one hand clasping me round the waist pulling me tight so I could feel how much he wanted me. The other hand clasped round the back of my neck, drawing me deeper and deeper into the kiss, so I was utterly lost within his embrace. I don't know how long we were locked together but as he loosened his hold and pulled away, I felt as is I had no strength in my body from the embrace. It is likely, I would have fallen, had Jarod not grabbed me, a chauvinistic growl escaping from his lips as he released me.

Jarod distanced himself a little as he spoke, "we need to collect the little one on our way, then we either can pick up a takeaway from around the corner or order when we get in. What would you prefer?"

It was difficult to be normal after that kiss but somehow I gathered my composure and got my brain into gear.

"Let's order when we get to yours, it will be more relaxing, don't you think? We can get Sophia ready for bed whilst the food is being delivered," I suggested and Jarod gave a nod in agreement.

Sophia was such a lovely little girl, although it was sometimes tiring after being at work all day with her boundless energy but she was a real delight. Sophia was so cute, cheeky and quirky that even when she misbehaved, you couldn't stay angry with her for long.

As Sophia had had her dinner at the nursery, once she had her bedtime story and went to sleep, fingers crossed it was our time.

As I approached her, she already had her book ready for me to read. She patted the bed and I snuck into bed with her as she like me to do and I opened the book:

"Oh, this is a new book Sophia?" I asked her?

"Yes," said Sophia.

I looked at the title, Bennie the Spider.