53 - A Fog of Uneasiness (Part 1)

It was late Saturday morning when I woke and my head felt as heavy as a cement block, as though I been binge drinking. I felt disorientated but noticed I was wearing Jarod's old work shirt and was trying to gather my thoughts together when Jarod came in bearing a tray with Sophia beaming by his side.

"Are you feeling better now Athina?" said Sophia, as she jumped up onto the bed and snuggled up next to me.

"I told her you weren't feeling well and ended up staying last night," Jarod breathed.

"You seemed to feel better in the night," and winked at me. "I thought you might feel rather tired and enjoy being waited on, so I made you breakfast."

A tray had been prepared. Upon it was a picture drawn from Sophia with lots of kisses on the side and a single vase containing a red rose. The plate would have put any posh hotel to shame with granary toast and scrambled eggs made just as I loved them with fresh coffee. It should have been my kind of heaven, but today, I couldn't face it.

"Ill just grab mine and sit beside you," said Jarod.

Within moments he was sitting on the bed next to me and Sophia. I nibbled,, at the edge of the toast, whilst my stomach appeared to do somersaults.

"Sophia's already had hers. All that growing in her sleep means Sophia's needs food as soon as she wakes!" said Jarod laughing, tickling her tummy to make her giggle.

Conversion filled my head. Did I have a strange dream last night or did something happen? There were odd flashes but nothing that connected or made sense. It seemed odd that the wine would effect me to such a state, when I had only had drunk a couple of glasses at most.

Maybe the wine was off? Did I have some bug? Could Jarod of drugged me?

Maybe I hadn't dreamed him saying those things? If that was the case, why on earth would he do that?

My head was working on overdrive trying to analyse and make sense of the little I could recall. What was real?

I pushed my plate away after only two mouthfuls. "I'm sorry Jarod, I 'm not feeling great. I don't know if that wine was off, but I think I better go. I just want to go home, curl up and sleep."

He looked concerned. "Do you think that's wise? I don't the like the idea of you staying on your own if you're not feeling well. Maybe you should stay here instead?"

Sophia was jumping up and down on the bed. "Oh, yes, stay here," and she jumped off the bed and re-emerged with her nurse outfit on.

"Daddy said, you need Nurse Sophia," and she twirled round in her dressing up outfit.

My lips tightly smiled at Sophia. She was such an adorable child but I knew Jarod had put her up to this. I felt this intense feeling to get some distance from him, so I could think clearly. The uneasiness hanged on my head like a big fat fog that would not disappear. I wanted to get back to my place as soon as possible and try and work out what had actually happened. It felt uncomfortable staying in his apartment. The desire to escape almost suffocating.

It was clear he wasn't happy, but I beyond caring, I needed the sanctuary and there was no way he was going to stop me. Cautiously, I eased myself out of bed, collecting my clothes together and headed towards the bathroom of our en-suite.

Somehow, I put on a false brightness, "Right shoo both of you, I want to get washed and dressed. Off you both go now, I need my privacy," I said jovially, as I pushed them out of the bedroom, taking them both by surprise, shutting the door behind them with a large slam.

Edit 3 18 May 2018

If you liked this chapter please do hit star and I would love to hear your comments 

If you would like to add my book to your reading list, you will be able to read my book whenever you are on the go..

Thanks everyone for your great support for this book and my poems. I really appreciate it.

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission by the author.

Many thanks Kimberley S B Lieb