61 - A Signature to Change

I dozed for what seemed only a few minutes but truly must have been hours, as I woke up to darkness and the sound of knocking at the door. Groggily, I made my way to pull it open and hesitated. "Who is it?" I enquired.

"It's Tony, Athina," said a voice I recognised well and I sighed with relief as I unlocked the door. Standing before me was Tony in smart jeans and a pressed cotton shirt, obviously ready for his customary glass of wine at the bar opposite.

"Come in, come in" I said yawning, urging him inside. "I couldn't sleep in the hospital", I explained, "I found it noisy full of strange sounds I didn't recognise and I couldn't sleep," he nodded back at me in understanding.

"I know exactly what you mean. I felt the same when I was on a ward. Do you mind if I make myself a cuppa, as I am dying for one and you look as if you are not awake yet."

I nodded whilst yawning, "Help yourself, and make yourself at home. I'm not keeping you from your wine am I or any plans?" I said feeling guilty.

"I am sure the bar won't go under, if I don't get there tonight Athina," he laughed, as he turned on the kettle.

"Oh, and thanks for the supplies and sorting the door out for me, I owe you big time, let me know the cost. Oh and I need to sign the paperwork," I said in a bit of a fluster.

He filled his mug and sat down beside me. "We still have some time don't worry. They know it's a done deal but of course we should sort things sooner rather than later, so we all know where we stand."

I nodded a little guiltily, "you know what Tony, I am sorry to say this, but I am not sure where it's gone with going into hospital." I was so worried when I said this, I thought he would really shout at me and flinched at the thought. I knew it was important but at this moment, I had no idea where it had gone, strangely it had vanished.

"The last I remember looking at the paperwork, I was on the train to work. Tony I don't just mislay stuff. I know I brought it home with me."

"Don't worry, I have a few copies," said Tony reassuringly, as he patted my arm.

I looked at him seriously, "Can you get them now please Tony, let's get it sorted right away, as the way things have been recently, I really would feel better knowing it was all done and dusted."

Tony looked at me gently, "Are you sure, you want to do this now? I really wasn't expecting to deal with this now. Honestly Athina, I just popped in to make sure you were okay and give you the spare key."

I faced him squarely, "No I really want to sign the documents now, Tony. I don't want to take a chance on letting anyone down. It's not just me, I have to consider everyone else too, they need know where they stand too," Tony nodded.

"Okay, okay, I'll get the papers now. I won't be long. You stay there on the sofa, and I'll bring the spare key with me, which I left on the hall table of my flat. I'll lose my head one of these days," he said as left the flat.

Tony knocked on the door gently waiting for my response before he let himself back in and then handed me a spare key, as he sat down beside me on the large mauve velvet chesterfield. He pulled out the sheaf of papers and we went through them one by one, before signing the relevant documents. Then I sank back further into the softness of the chair with relief that it had been dealt with.

"It seems sad doesn't if Tony, that these flats will have to be pulled down to give us all financial security," I mused.

"I mean, I love this flat and I know it really is a single woman's alcove with whites and mauves and suchlike. Just a little bit sad, this is the first place that has been all mine," I said regretfully.

He touched my hand gently, and smiled to catch my attention, as I was staring into space.

"It's difficult for all of us Athina. You have lived here less time than all of us but it makes good financial sense here for everyone when you weighed it up. Some people have lived here over 20 years, myself included. But you know change can be as good as a rest. I have grown wearily of the shop, this deal means I can retire early, if I want to. Maybe travel. Quite a few of us will still be at the new place together, so part of the community we already have will be retained. It won't be the same but what ever is?"

I looked at Tony sadly, "I know. I know, it makes sense. But it is still hard."

He held my hand softly and reassuringly, "You made this a lovely home on a limited budget, you can make the next place a lovely home too and it will have added security. Everything will work out, don't worry. I'll always be your friend and I'm still going be your neighbour."

I smiled at Tony and squeezed his hand, as a way of thanking him for his reassurance, then he got up to go, and then turned just before he went and said "Oh, I don't know how, but I nearly forgot to mention."

I looked up at him "Yes?" I said to him quizzically.

"Someone popped by when you were in hospital, they asked me to let you know they had called round and would pop in again," said Tony.

I looked at him, wondering who it could be. "Who was it?"

I could see he was trying to remember their name

"Ah, got it, it nearly escaped me. She particularly said not to mention her to Jarod. Said I had a nice face and felt she could trust me. What was her name? Ah got it, said her name was Emily and she would contact you very soon".

21/10/2016 E3

If you liked this chapter please do vote (please hit the star) and if you have time to comment that would mean so much to me, as your feedback inspires me to keep writing and your helpful critique is greatly appreciated as I learn and grow on my journey as a writer.

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission by the author. Many thanks Kimberley S B Lieb