141 - Letter of the Dead

She raised her eyes and completely ignored the question as she started to speak to me.

"Athina please put your phone on the table in front of you, so I can see that no one else is listening in on our conversation. I won't take it; I can assure you but just as a precaution please. In my line of work, I have grown use to being cautious. I will leave my phone on the table too."

I wasn't exactly happy with this turn of events but I did as she said. I kept my hand close to my phone; I wasn't going to let it out of my sight. My other hand was so tightly holding the pram handle with fear and tension; I was surprised I hadn't snapped it in two by now. However, my bellowed baby was completely oblivious to what was going on around her, asleep peacefully in the land of nod.

"Athina, I think you should know that I got a strange letter that Jarod sent to me. Contained within it was a letter that I should pass to you if anything happened."

She grabbed her handbag that she had placed beside her and placed it on her lap in front of her.

"The post was delayed, it only arrived the day he died; otherwise I would have dropped everything and come beforehand, I can assure you. When I found out he had died, I felt I needed to make some enquiries before I came to speak to you."

I nodded my head in understanding. It seemed the right thing to do.

She brushed away her tears as she delved into her bag to pass me the letter.

"I'm sorry Athina, but I have to admit I opened your letter, in light of his death."

I nodded, showing my understanding of the circumstances. I held out my hand to take the letter and opened it.

Unusually, he had handwritten it. It seemed very strange to see his handwriting in front of me and know he wasn't alive anymore.

I unfolded it fully as I read the contents before me.

Dearest Athina

If you are reading this letter, then my fears have been fully justified and it is likely that Theodora has been implemented in my death.

I left this letter with my mother who is the person I trust most in the world.

I have tried my utmost to conceal the fact that I am actually divorced from Theodora and the Decree Absolute came through recently, it has been stored with my papers in my safe deposit box at the bank that my mother also has access too.

My failing is that I tried to help Theodora. Initially I thought she had changed for the better and had accepted we would be going our separate ways. How wrong could I have been, as subsequently it transpired she had drugged me to obtain money from me fraudulently, in order to buy the house in Wimbledon that I had disagreed to purchase for her. I felt I had no choice than to put into place the move abroad. I have had to manipulate people and play along with Theodora, making her think there was still hope for her and me. My reason for this was the hope that if we escaped her clutches before she realised the divorce had gone through, we would be safe.

Recently, I have been trying to secure employment in Hong Kong in the hope we will be settled there before Theodora finds out the divorce is finalised as I have reason to believe she will not take it well at all.

If you are reading this, my fears will have been justified and my mother will be at your side whilst you read this.

I have made bad choices but I would do all that again, for the moments I had with you and the child we have created. My only regret is that I am not there with you and the children now.

I have left all the papers regarding Sophia with my mother. I have given her authority to pass them onto you as I know you will do the right thing. I know you will love Sophia as your own but if you feel she should be with her birth mother Emily, I know you will do that too. Money has been put into trust for the children and my mother has the details.

I have made bad decisions over the last few years and they have come back to bite me.

I realise at times I may have acted unreasonably and oddly. Some of this was due to fear regarding your safety, maybe this was a little over the top but I was terrified of losing you or something happening to you. I always felt Theodora could not be trusted and I felt uneasy when I did not know where you were. I realise now I should have been honest and explained this to you.

I want you to know Athina that you are without doubt the love of my life. Every day I was thankful for having you in my life, you gave me joy that I never knew existed with your love and kindness.

I deeply love you, Sophia and our baby.

Please trust my mother. She can be relied upon.

My love now and always.

Jarod

XXXXXXXXX

I was stunned. This letter threw up even more questions. I sat there in a stupor. Not knowing what to say.

Edit 4 - (PAL) I had edited this letter and cut by about half -if you feel I can cut it any more please let me know.  Deep thanks 

I wonder if before you go, that you might just click the star below, if you enjoyed the words above, and if you want to share your thoughts, just let it flow :-)

Your feedback inspires me to keep writing and your helpful critique is greatly appreciated and helps me to edit my work as I learn and grow on my journey as a writer.

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission by the author. Many thanks Kimberley S B Lieb