110 - A New Town

Sophia and I were just reading one of her books together, snuggled on the seat, as the train pulled into Billericay station.

"Come on, Sophia. Let's get our things together," I said, grabbing a story book in one hand and clasping her fingers in mine. It seemed funny to think, this area was now my new home, although I did not live there or know it well. I took a few minutes to my bearings, before walking down the hill towards the High Street.

There was a bustle about the place as we reached the café, The Old Record Shop that also sold old vinyl, that Emily had suggested we meet her.

"Oh, Sophia, look at those cakes and amazing sofas. My friend Essie should be here soon."

Sophia's eyes were on stalks and already pulling me towards the large cake display. There was so much choice, we were spoilt for choice. We were still deciding, when I felt a tap on my shoulder.

I turned round to find Emily myself engulfed in a bear hug. Each time we met, I liked her more. Today she was wearing black skinny jeans, a warm rose t-shirt with black converse sneakers and it was a look that made her younger than her years. Emily glowed with happiness in the pink in her cheeks and the touches of colour in her clothes. It seemed that her romance with Tony was obviously going well.

"So this must be Sophia, I have heard so much about," said Emily, "have you decided which cake you would like?"

Sophia hopped and skipped on the spot with excitement pointing to at least four cakes, seemingly undecided. A real cake-aholic, Sophia was clearly in heaven.

"Why don't you take a seat over there and rest up Athina, whilst Sophia and I sort out the cakes and drinks."

"Oh that would be lovely, are you sure Emily?"

"It will be my pleasure Athina, go sit. You will only be a table away. I've got this."

I rubbed the small of my back and ached to do the same to my calves, if I could but reach them. My feet kept swelling up and had grown a whole shoe size.

I could see that Sophia was in great hands and I made a note to myself that we should meet weekly, so Sophia could began to feel comfortable with Emily. It was good to see them together. They seemed already at ease with each other but maybe that was the cakes talking.

My body sank into the large mauve velvet chaise lounge and my eyes closed of their own accord, as tiredness took over. It seemed only moments before I heard giggles approaching me. My eyes opened to the array of cakes before me.

"Oh, I can see Sophia twisted your arm then Essie?" I said laughing.

"Well, we might have to taste all of them. What a shame!" said Emily smiling.

"Ha, be rude not to! But as Sophia is going to be a Hat Wearing Baker, I guess it's research! So calories don't count!" I said cramming a cake between my lips.

"Are you settled in the flat now Essie?" I asked, licking my fingers full of crumbs.

"Yes, all went smoothly. Just some boxes and post left to sort. Do you wouldn't mind helping me with that?" she added with a wink.

"You can always put your feet up on the bed whilst you are going through things. Or have a little lap. I'll keep an eye of this little bundle of mischief," said Emily as she rustled Sophia's curls.

With Emily's encouragement, Sophia started looking at Emily's pockets and trying to see if there was anything in them.

"Go on then Sophia. See if you find anything hiding," said Emily laughing.

She was so excited, she giggled popping her little hand to search but showing a sad face when nothing found but this soon turned to joy. Her hand was outstretched with success as her palm revealed a packet of Milk Chocolate Buttons.

"Oh, what else have I got inside my bag? I wonder if it is for you," said Emily.

"It's for me," said Sophia jumping up in her seat, so excited that another present was in the offing.

"Here we go," said Emily passing a small package.

"Oh another, Frozen toy! We really don't have enough, Say thank you to Essie."

"Thank you," said Sophia going red in the face, fiddling with her hands, as she rushed back to my side, trying to sit next to me on the sofa.

"You're very welcome Sophia; do I get a hug?" said Emily.

Sophia shook her head and buried herself closer to me.

I whispered in Sophia''s ear, "Go on sweetie Essie's gives the best hugs and she might read you a story later." I told her.

Sophia refused to move from my side.

"I'm sorry," I said, seeing Emily's unhappy face before me.

"It will take time." I silently mouthed to her.

Emily nodded but her eyes looked sad when Sophia pulled my arms around her, so she could hide away.

The road ahead was not going to be straight-forward but I knew I wasdoing the right thing by letting them get to know each other.   

...................

Edit 2.5 PAL July 2017

Don't forget to vote if you enjoyed...by hitting the star before you go, as it means my story reaches more people.....comments welcome...

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission by the author.

Many thanks for reading my work and sharing my writing journey

Feel free to check out my poems and other works...do let me know what you think, it means a lot to me to hear what you think and will help me grow as a writer.

Kimberley S B Lieb

P.S. I recently read Evermore, by TheRecklessRebel, it's a thriller with a touch of Hannibal.  I really enjoyed it.  Feel free to check it out.  As you know I like to promote new talent that I find on my travels on Wattpad.