33- An Early Delivery

I rose early, from the sunlight streaming through the windows, due to the curtains I had forgot to close

I rose early, from the sunlight streaming through the windows, due to the curtains I had forgot to close. My arms stretched upwards of their own accord, as I opened my eyes. The bruises on my body made their presence known, the pain making its presence known with every move I made to the edge of the bed. Slowly I eased myself up, wincing at the last hurdle.

With trepidation, I walked to the kitchen, trying for once to avoid my usual clumsy habit of banging into furniture, as my bruises were tender enough already and made myself a nice Americano; for a hit of caffeine to get my adrenalin going.

'Mmm, that was good,' I said to myself, as I went on auto pilot making another cup without even thinking.

I set my coffee cup down on the side table and then grabbed my lap top off the side and eased myself gently onto the sofa. Then I logged onto my Wattpad account. There were no messages from Emily and it made me feel deflated. I checked Emily's profile and her written works. The original story had no additional chapters, nor had any other stories been created.

Disappointment lay over my shoulders, as exited the website. First I felt my eyes grow damp, then fill with tears and the stream become a river. My body shook and I sobbed with pure frustration. What on earth was I going to do?

It felt as though, Emily was the only person who could help me and would know what I should do.

There was a knock at the door, I looked at my watch, who could that be at 7am in the morning! I felt wary, as I looked through the spy hole in the door. A sigh of relief escaped my lips with realisation it was a courier outside. At least it wasn't him! Still, that didn't explain their presence. I rubbed my face dry of tears and felt my brows knot together; as I opened the door.

"Sorry, Miss, I know it's so early but apparently it's urgent, if you could sign here please. Then I'm off to get my breakfast."

I looked at him; he was just an ordinary guy going about his business. "Yes of course, where do I sign?" I asked.

"Here, just once," he said, as I scribbled my signature where indicated.

For some strange reason, I waited until the courier had gone, before taking the packages in one at a time. It had to be from Jarod. Who else would send me anything? There was a letter taped onto one of them, so I tore open the envelope first.

"Darling Athina

I have loved anyone the way I love you and it's overwhelmed me. I feel so protective of you and I overacted. Please forgive me. I don't want to lose you.

I lost my self-control. I've signed up for counseling. I promise I will never hurt you and it will never happen again.

Things have been fraught with Theodora and I'm not use to looking after Sophia all the time.

Theodora has had a breakdown and been committed to hospital. She's been charged by the police for stalking and causing actual bodily harm.

Sophia's Nanny walked out and I am trying to set up child care. I don't know if I am coming or going. I know this is a big ask, but I have no one else I trust to help me.

I really need your help with my daughter Sophia, Theodora refused to let me have her on my own before and would only let me see her at her house, which is why she has never met you.

Sophia needs someone stable in her life. I don't think another Nanny would be the right thing at the moment for her and even if I wanted one, it takes time to find someone suitable. This couldn't come at a worse time as I am concluding this big deal. A nursery nearby has been recommended and I have got Sophia a place and but it only has core work hours available at present, so I'm in fix with my work schedule. Can you help me look after Sophia? She's already been through enough turmoil and I trust you to take care of Sophia.

Theodora damaged my phone so I attach my card with my new mobile number on it, as. Please Athina, give me a chance to put things right between us.

I can't wait to hear your voice,

With much love,

Yours now and always, love Jarod xxxJxxx"

My eyes were like saucers, as I took it all in. The letter had been handwritten in fountain pen, so there were smudges here and there with odd crossings out.

I re-read the letter again and again, letting the words sink in.

This was a Jarod I didn't know, usually he was so assured, chauvinistic, albeit charming to a fault. His words seem genuine. Didn't everyone deserve a second chance?

 One thing was sure, if he ever repeated anything like that again, I would leave without a backward glance

One thing was sure, if he ever repeated anything like that again, I would leave without a backward glance. As soon as that thought entered my head, I knew I would give him one more chance. If you had told me that before, I would have said never, but here I was now, my heart strings pulled in all directions. He needed me. The child needed me. Walking away without trying didn't seem the right thing to do; so I was stuck between a rock and a hard place. My love for him still ran deep; although it would never be the same as before. 

 What game is Jarod playing?

Please click the star before you go if you enjoyed this chapter and let me know your thoughts if you can spare the time, as I love hearing from readers.  

updated edits are usually every Friday and Tuesday.

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission by the author.