21 - The Girl with the Dark Red Hair

"The Girl with the Dark Red Hair"

I noticed her from afar, you couldn't miss her with those intense wary green eyes and red hair, sultry and flowing in waves, down her back. When your eyes met hers, you felt there was a truthful aura about her. It was apparent from the first word she spoke, that this was someone you felt you could be comfortable with. A real rarity.

Initially, I had only intended to observe her; see what sort of person she was.

I took some time, but I made myself speak with her. I don't have a lot of confidence, which I'm trying to work on. Life has not been easy. I have some issues to work through. I could see she might appear fragile, but she carried an inner strength. She was not at all what I expected.

It felt important to see her again. Not only was there more she needed to hear, but it was too hard for me, to tell her all, in one go. Despite the strange circumstances we had met, maybe she also considered that we might become friends.

I wanted to keep the lines of communication open in a way that no one else suspected from the outside. I realised the girl, does not realise how important it is to keep our connection secret.

This is dangerous territory for me. Our meeting scheduled today, wasn't possible. It was unsafe.

Currently I am living in hiding, due to circumstances that will later become clear. I am hoping the girl with the red hair will learn to trust me, so as I impart my story to her, she will leave the gate open to walk another path in life.

My hope is she will realise I speak the truth and from the heart; so she will know she is not alone, if she leaves him.

Whatever she wants to do, I will be her friend."

I kept going over the story. I wanted to know why she felt the need to live in hiding. What made her so frightened? Questions kept running around in my head with possible scenarios and crazy answers. The more I thought about it the more bizarre the answers, and reasons became.

In reality I knew little and that terrified me more than anything. A chill slid over my shoulders and down my back. I grabbed the rug off the back of the sofa, to stop the shivers, pulling it round my shoulders to warm me.

My many questions would not be answered tonight. Jarod was a rather closed book. He rarely discussed the past. His stock answer to most questions was along the lines "Well, I have made mistakes in my life, but you should always look forward" and then he would change the subject. Talking about the future with him was always fine. Otherwise, it was tantamount to trying to trying to prise open an ancient tin, with little luck.

Confused and alarmed about what this all might mean, it was hard to see how her previous situation with Jarod could be connected to her feeling the need to live in hiding now. Until I had the answers, all of this would remain unclear.

However, there was a connection even if I did not yet know what it is. Why had she contacted me?

Despite looking extensively on-line, the only thing I could find about Jarod and Emily was an engagement announcement in The Times. I had tried at different times to ask Jarod about previous girlfriends but he was evasive when quizzed.

Jarod would have left in a few hours to go on another business trip for two days, playing golf and entertaining clients. Even if I had the courage to ask him what was on my mind, it was probably best to wait until he returned.

There were so many questions that filled my brain; that I found it impossible to switch off from thinking, as my body turned and tossed restlessly throughout the night. What had I got myself into? What did it all mean?

I was stuck between a rock and a hard place. I was damned whatever road I took. This was the last thought I had, as sleep eventually took over.

Edit 4 PALH Nov 2017

I wonder if before you go, that you might just click the star below, if you enjoyed the words above, and if you want to share your thoughts, just let it flow :-)

A