84 - An Episode of Soap

I hope the Soap clip...shows how ironically she sees her life, sometimes we have to laugh when we want to cry!

I arrived at reception, leaving my cases with security, to enable me to get Sophia from nursery.

I sighed with the enormity and complexity of my situation. My head ached with the cogs whirling and debating what to do.

Maybe, I shouldn't have come back here and taken my cases somewhere, anywhere; then took my chances alone and ran?

This was deep water I was getting myself into. I was in cahoots with my fiancé's ex-fake fiancée. It was almost a tongue twister and made me think of some crazy tv series called Soap from the seventies.

Life was laughing at me and I literally could hear the theme tune in my head! Oh, my God! It just depressed me. My life was parallel to a sitcom.

One of the staff from the nursery brought the children to the door and I collected Sophia, happily clutching her artwork in her hand.

"Hello Sophia, is that for me?" I enquired, ruffling her cute curls as she held me tight. She was a lovely child and it pulled at my heart strings.

"Can we go to park?" asked Sophia and I nodded, pleased for the distraction.

"Yes. Let's go now." As I pulled out my hand for her to grab.

Sophia loved the park. Her face lit up like a ray of sunshine, as I picked her up, placing her on my shoulders, she pretended to reach the monkey bars as we made our way along.

Sophia was an easy child to love, but she wasn't mine. It wasn't right for Jarod and Theodora to keep her, not letting Emily see her. I knew I had to do the right thing. Now I was about to be a parent too, it resonated even more with me. I knew I would do anything to protect my child, even though they were not yet within my arms.

My fear was, this was all a set up, and that Jarod didn't love me. That Theodora and him had schemed to make sure I became pregnant so they could steal my child. When you considered Emily's story I had good reason to be wary.

It was important that I kept up the pretence that I was going nowhere and give the illusion my flat was rented out or sold it, so it appeared I had nowhere else to go.

I knew I could never marry Jarod. I could never trust him.

My mind ran at a million miles an hour plotting. I would do everything I could to hide the true situation of my flat, so that if later I ran, he would only find a building site to where my flat had been.

I would need do my best to accrue as much income as I could in the intervening period, utiling some of the money Jarod gave me and any rent Emily was able to put in. Every penny saved would be a monetary cushion providing for myself and the baby unitl I was able to go back to work.

I looked at my engagement ring. Even that could be utilised. I had to be pragmatic and sensible. My ring looked impressive, it made sense to check out how much it was worth. Forming a plan calmed me as I felt I was gaining control of my life again.

Sophia and I walked hand in hand, swinging our arms as we walked through the gardens at the Barbican. For a while I forgot my worries enjoying the sunshine.

We returned to Jarod's seventies styled bachelor pad, my heart dropped as we approached it, as it never felt like home.

Thank you for reading this chapter, if you enjoyed the story so far please hit the star before you go. Comments and critique welcomed.

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission by the author.

Many thanks for reading my work and sharing my writing journey

Feel free to check out my poems and other works...do let me know what you think.

Nice to meet you, Kimberley S B Lieb

Revised 10 11 2019