80 - The Pact (Part One)

In this chapter....she shares her secrets with Emily and a pact is made...

As Tony entered the room, he immediately took in my tear-stained face and my solemn expression. He looked at both of our faces and then feeling very awkward, suddenly said to us both, "Mm, I'll go and get some cake from next door to go with the tea, I think that is what is called for here. I won't be long."

He exited the place so quickly, I wondered if Tony was a superhero. Never had I seen him move so quickly. I smiled faintly as I let another sigh. It seems that we Brits always turn to tea and cake as a way of a distraction.

Emily sat down on the floor beside me and held my hand. I looked at her more carefully now, she looked so changed with the hair cut and I saw pain lurking there behind her blue eyes.

"I think you had better go first, after that phone call," said Emily, "I'm guessing you need to get that off your chest, before Tony comes back."

I nodded. "That's a rare gent you've got there as a friend. He's a good man," said Emily.

"Yes, I know," I said, wondering where the best place was for me to start.

"Emily, I don't think Tony should hear what I've just found out. I will make an excuse and then can we discuss things in my flat. I need time to think things through before we involve anyone else. Tony's a lovely man but I'm not sure what I should tell him at the moment."

I heard the door bang as Tony reappeared followed shortly afterwards with the chink of mugs as Tony came back into the room with a tray laden with goodies.

"Are you feeling a bit better now Athina?" asked Tony with concern.

I turned and said to him. "I'll be fine I am just feeling a bit emotional with the pregnancy and seeing Emily again, I'm just feeling a bit hormonal."

He stared at me, obviously not convinced but I didn't venture anything else. Emily and I sat there sipping our tea and making small talk until a reasonable time had passed for us to make our excuses to leave.

I looked at Emily in the eye firstly in an unspoken code, so she was on board and then moved my gaze over to Tony.

"Tony, I hope you don't mind but I want to show Emily the plans, so I can discuss things and catch up okay, so thanks for the tea and I will speak with you soon. Thank you so much for looking after Emily for me, I really appreciate it."

Tony got up from his sofa and busied himself as he collected the cups from us and the plates.

"Of course and as always, it's no problem but Athina, if something is on your mind or you need to talk, my door is always open, okay."

I smiled at him and put my arm on his shoulder, to try to reassure him.

"Yes, don't worry Tony, I do really appreciate your friendship and thank you."

He was such a decent guy and I rose from my seat, gave him a kiss on the cheek as Emily followed my lead and did likewise.

"Thanks for being a sweetie," said Emily to him.

We saw Tony blush as Emily kissed him on the check. This was the first time I had ever seen him embarrassed. I looked to Emily to see if I could work out what was going on here, but her expression said nothing but I had a funny feeling a little spark was igniting. We made our way down the corridor to my flat and I unlocked the door and ushered Emily in.

Edit(2.5) - Dec 2016

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this chapter and comments/critque are welcome and if you liked this chapter please kindly hit the star before you go.

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission by the author.

Many thanks for reading my work and sharing my writing journey

Feel free to check out my poems, funny stories and interviews with writers big and small...do let me know what you think.

Kimberley S B Lieb