111 - Close Your Eyes For a Moment

"Are we done everyone? If so, I'll give Tony a ring. He said he would pick us all up."

"Yes, I think we have all had enough, of cake and more cake, to last a while," I laughed.

Tony picked us all up in his new posh car and it didn't take long before we got there. I hadn't been back since Tony initially showed me around. Emily took delight in showing me around and I could see her little touches she had made to make it home.

As I went into the other bedroom that was essentially mine, it all felt a little surreal. Only the furniture was in place, everything else I needed to sort out but there was no rush.

Emily had placed some small boxes of my things on the tallboy. I grabbed a box, put it on the bedside table and put my feet on the bed. Oh how nice it felt to rest up. It felt nice and comfortable here.

The room was a little dark as I woke and got off the bed in a panic. It must be late. Worried, I ran into the lounge.

"We need to get back, it's getting late," I said, a little out of breath and flushed.

"Don't get into panic Athina, the clocks only went back at the weekend, so it seems later than it is. It's only 3:30," said Emily, "I was about to wake you anyway, I thought you needed the rest."

Emily walked over to me, "don't worry, there's no need to panic, take a seat."

I felt confused and disorientated, as Emily looked into my eyes, "Athina, you have time for a drink of something, then I'll get Tony to drop you off at the station. What's the panic. Surely Jarod won't be home for ages yet?" said Emily.

"He doesn't seem to like it if he gets home and we aren't there." I responded.

"You are entitled to a life you know Athina. Surely it wouldn't be the end of the world if you arrived a few minutes after him? If you expect him around 7, you will have plenty of time," said Emily, patting my shoulder, "are you sure you are okay Athina?"

"Yes, of course. You are right. It just seemed so much later. I thought it was 6 or 7 at night."

"Well, it's overcast, we had rain earlier when you were asleep so that has made it even darker than usual," said Emily ushering me to the sofa,"take a seat, I'll make you a quick cuppa. Would you like a snack? A biscuit? Or a sandwhich?"

"Can I just have a hot squash please. Tea doesn't seem to agree with me at the moment and I'll need to be going in the next half an hour."

She got up and went to the kitchen, whilst Sophia was cheerfully playing with her new Frozen toy, whilst watching cartoons on the television.

Emily shouted from the kitchen. "You feel asleep almost instantly. Snoring your head off like a trooper. So we left you to it. Sophia and I read a book together. Played with her Barbies and snuggled up on the sofa to watch cartoons. I thought you needed the sleep. I remembered how tired I got."

"Thank you. I never play dollies with her. I don't have the patience. Emily what have you started?" I laughed as I noticed Emily brimming with pride that she had won Emily over. "Scary thing is," I said yawning, "I could have almost carried on sleeping."

"Do you want me to get Tony to take you all the way home?" asked Emily.

"No, I'll be fine but I wouldn't mind a drop off to the train station if that is okay?"

"I'll just give him a ring," said Emily.

"Hiya, Darling. Yes we are all fine. We are just going to have a quick cuppa. Do you want to join us? Then Athina needs to get going, can you drop her at the station? That's great, I'll get tea ready, see you in 2 mins. Me too."

I glanced up; as I saw her cheeks go bright red.

As we sat together, I thought how relaxed I felt with them all and how on edge I always felt at Jarod's place. His apartment seemed sterile, showroom like, whilst even though this flat was mine and I wasn't living in it at the moment, it still felt like home and very comfortable.

The truth was I didn't really want to go back to Jarod's place, but I knew I had to keep to the plan, at least until I had the baby, otherwise I would be easily found.

One of the reasons I didn't intend to be late, was that I tried my best not to make ripples with him. He had a real gripe if he came home to an empty apartment and it really wasn't worth the agro if it was possible to avoid this. It might not be fair but it definitely was less stressful. I did love Jarod but there were so many things that weren't or didn't feel right. Or was it just lust? There was no other relationship of the same intensity to measure it to.

Looking at Emily and Tony as we waved goodbye, I was envious of their growing and flourishing relationship. I was happy for them but I only wished I had the same in my relationship and could experience love in the same uncomplicated way.

Edit 2.2  (PAL)

Don't forget to vote if you enjoyed...by hitting the star before you go, as it means my story reaches more people.....comments welcome...

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission by the author.

Many thanks for reading my work and sharing my writing journey

Feel free to check out my poems and other works...do let me know what you think, it means a lot to me to hear what you think and will help me grow as a writer.

Kimberley S B Lieb

Special thanks to my special writers in crime  linahanson and anupamarc who write mysteries like me who books I really enjoy and I am sure you will too.  Plus linahanson is also a featured writer and fellow Amabassador to boot and they are both are very supportive and talented Wattpad friends.  Check out their great stories https://www.wattpad.com/story/62873347-in-my-attic-an-avebury-witches-cozy-mystery   https://www.wattpad.com/story/85873063-down-the-hatch-an-avebury-witches-cozy-mystery which are Lina's light mysteries with Myrtle in the throw and if you are after a mystery with a science fiction twist try out anupamarc 's book https://www.wattpad.com/story/66149161-dying-embers

Plus also check out the the talented h_coyle featured writer  https://www.wattpad.com/story/35010852-the-anchored which I loved and I am currently reading her book https://www.wattpad.com/story/20453331-first-years which is amazing.  Heather is a  fellow Ambassador who I am  also  am co-writing my first horror with under the CoyleLieb profile the story https://www.wattpad.com/story/92946311-the-awakening