104 - Toothpaste and Gin

"How are you feeling, Athina? You looked so peaceful in bed this morning that I got Sophia ready this morning. She's just finishing her breakfast, are you okay to get up now? As, I need to get to work?"

"Ahh, " I opened my eyes, I felt so groggy, as I raised myself up in the bed and took a sip of the hot squash, and Jarod had left me by the side of the bed. I had completely gone off tea due to my pregnancy.

"Are you okay Athina," asked Jarod, putting his hand my shoulder, as he looked me straight in the eyes.

"Eh huh" I replied groggily, "sorry, I can't quite wake myself up," I said with a large yawn.

"Are you sure," Jarod asked again with concern.

"Yes, I got it, just not awake yet that's all. Had bad night with baby making its presence known?"

"Yep, I had to go in the spare room in the early hours, you took over the whole bed and you were so restless, I left you to it. I thought you needed the space with all those pillows," said Jarod softly.

I had seen another side recently, in which Jarod had been thoughtful and kind. At those times, I had to remind myself not to trust him and not be lured in. However, it was like living with Jekyll and Hyde, as if the other side of him was always just simmering under the surface. I had witnessed blow up in a rage when you didn't agree with him and the only way was Jarod's way and until he calmed down; the household walked on egg shells.

I looked up at him, Jarod was so very handsome in his dark blue slim fitting tailored suit, with cufflinks and white shirt. The tie he always stuffed into his pocket, until he reached the office. Somehow, with the top button of his shirt undone, it made him look sexier.

Jarod saw me appraising his physique and smiled. "So you're not that tired then," he teased.

"Well, I'm not fully awake but there is nothing wrong in appreciating your surroundings is there," I said as I winked and he responded by laughing back at me.

He held my hand in his and looked down at the ring, touching it and fingering the band. I took an intake at breath. Jarod had noticed something.

"The ring looks brighter than I remember it, maybe it's the way the light is catching it through the window," Jarod mused.

I tried to sound nonchalant, yawning as I responded, "Oh I gave it a bit of a clean with toothpaste and a bit of gin. I'd read that was a good thing to clean it with and it looked a bit dirty after doing the housework. I left it on by mistake."

"Toothpaste? Wow that worked well. It's amazing. The whole ring is sparkling!"

"See I'm full of surprises! A font of knowledge and resources," I laughed.

I smiled as I spoke to him, the lies tumbling out, except my one saving grace was that I had done that before with a ring, so I knew it worked. Lies worked best when you kept to the truth as much as possible.

"I'll see you laters then?" He blew me a kiss as he walked to the doorway and stopped to turn back again as I carried on speaking to him.

"Don't forget we are getting a takeaway tonight Jarod, you said you would pick one up on the way home. I will be over the flat today sorting things out. I think I will be too tired to cook dinner when I get back."

"Thanks for reminding me, I'd forgotten. It's no problem. Are you sure you are up to it Athina?"

"Someone Tony knows is dealing with the move for me, so my job is just directing them. It's all going into storage anyway. Anything I want to bring back with me, I can just grab a cab and bring it back with me. Tony has already moved into his other place already, so my lodger is going with him."

"Where has Tony moved to," asked Jarod, running his fingers idly through his hair.

"Oh, I'm not sure, he said the developers had arranged it. I only know its fairly local. The developers will pay my mortgage, storage costs and inconvenience costs so it's a pretty good deal for me. Good timing really."

"Well must be worth the developers to do this," questioned Jarod.

"Well, with all the Crossrail development, with faster, more regular trains and the track running from one side of London to the other, it will open up all of the area to a bigger group of commuters. I guess I struck lucky," I said smiling.

Jarod nodded, "Sounds like it. Now, I better go, just take it easy. I mean it Athina, no picking up, okay. Promise me."

He took hold of my hand and sat back on the side of the bed. He almost took my breath away, how handsome he looked. What he saw in me, the large waddling hippo I had become, I didn't know. I felt very unglamorous next to him. Wearing a nightie that resembled my grandmother's cotton ensemble. Anything else didn't fit or was too hot. The slinky slip nightdresses I loved so much, now consigned to the back of the drawer.

I felt myself drifting with my thoughts and how I would be glad to have my child in my arms. I was desperate to hold her and was certain I was carrying a girl. Only a couple of months to go. Yet it was hard to enjoy it all with all these deceptions. The secrets I hid from him and the lies he kept from me.

"Hey, daydreamer, come back to me. Are you anywhere nice without me," Jarod jested.

I shook my head, yawning on purpose to add effect, "sorry still half asleep, what were you saying?"

Jarod kissed me on the cheek. "Athina, you, my baby, and Sophia, are so precious, remember that. Without you all, I have nothing. Everything and I mean everything I do is for both of you."

He said it so quietly. It left me with a sharp shudder that ran down the length of my spine, leaving me feeling cold and chilled to the bone. I tried to change the mood, as he had unnerved me so much.

"Baby and I will be fine, as will Sophia. Now off you go Jarod," I said to him making pushing movements with my hands.

"Get to work and provide for your ever growing family, I jested to lighten the mood, as he so loved that label.

"I need to get up and sort Sophia etc. Busy day. Off you go now. Scoot," I shooed him off again.

"Okay, I'm going," said Jarod, blowing me a kiss, as he closed the door behind him and I lumbered out of bed as gracious as I could with my ever growing baby bump.

Edit -2.1 PAL

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission by the author.

Many thanks for reading my work and sharing my writing journey

Feel free to check out my poems and other works...do let me know what you think, it means a lot to me to hear what you think and will help me grow as a writer.

Kimberley S B Lieb