140 - Men in Black

Then her face became serious and drawn as she turned her head to the side. Gemma appeared to give a hand signal to someone. Curious, I moved my head and there behind me was a gentleman whose persona resembled a man on security detail for the president of the United States. He was wearing a black suit and an ear piece was in his ear. I felt my eyes widened. What on earth was going on?

Before I could ask, Gemma turned her head in the other direction, catching the eye of a similar looking man, who nodded and moved to just outside the door of the café.

She then spoke into the lapel of her jacket. "Guys, this next bit is confidential, it's a family matter. So no recording. Just keep it live for us. No transmission on the airways. Just close circuit. Just keep eyes on me. I will ask the café owner to leave for a minutes. Nod please if you got that?"

Gemma then checked all the security detail had understood her message by noting their nod in response.

"Excuse me, I know this is an odd request but would you mind stepping out for a few minutes whilst I have a private conversation please. My security personnel will show you to my mobile office. Here's £200 to make it worth your while to compensate you for your loss of business. And here's another £200 when you return."

She laid the wad of notes on the table before her. Two clear piles ready for the taking.

The cafe owner, seemed hesitant as he didn't move but his wary eyes wandered in turn to Gemma, myself and baby and the men in black suits.

Noting his dilemma Gemma spoke again. "I promise you this woman and her child will come to no harm, far from it. I need a little privacy. Just for a short while."

The man appeared to be weighing the matter up as he considered his limited options. He shuffled his left foot backwards and forwards and then approached the table stacked with the money.

The man stuffed the wad of notes on the left into his jeans back pocket, avoiding my gaze as he then reached for the other bundle. Gemma was quick, slamming her hand down on top of the remaining money before he had a chance. The noise making us both jump.

"I told you. The other £200 you get when you return, when my people say you can," said Gemma.

The man nodded realising he had made a faux paux, his eyes watchful as he moved towards the door of the café. It was obvious there were no flies on her!

"Incoming. He's on his way. Hospitality please and be on your best behaviour boys." she said with a slight laugh at the end.

The cafe owner's eyebrows raised up with the sound of Gemma's strange laugh, as the door opened and then swiftly shut, as he departed.

Gemma turned round to check; as yet more personnel came to escort him back to the van, whilst the security detail remained at the exits.

"Okay. Thanks boys. I will keep my ear piece connected but disconnect my speaker on my lapel now. My phone is on and in front of me." said Gemma

"Phew. That's that out of the way!" she said as her shoulders lowered slightly, as she eased herself back into the chair then rubbed both her hands down the front of her skirt.

By now I didn't know what to expect as I it felt as if I had landed in a middle of spy thriller such as the Bourne series. It was rather surreal.

My mobile phone rang. Even though she glared at me, I picked it up regardless. Her icy stare cutting right through me, as though they could kill! The phone display revealed Tony calling me. I slid my screen across to answer.

"Athina are you all right? This security guy won't let me pass. What is going on? Is everything okay?"

I turned towards Gemma as I spoke, my eyes looking at her holding her gaze throughout as I slid my phone to loudspeaker.

"My friend Tony has just come to collect me. He says your security guys won't let him pass!" I said sharply, sounding more in control than I was.

Gemma returned a look with a sense of real irritation of being interrupted, as she addressed me.

"Please tell him, that I need a few minutes of your time. That you are safe with me. He has nothing to fear. Your welfare and the baby are paramount," said Gemma.

I stuttered in query, "Did you hear that Tony?"

A disgruntled "Yes," followed that gave every impression he was not happy but there was no other choice. I completed the call but put my phone in my pocket keeping my hand on it, just in case I needed it.

"Who on earth are you really Gemma?" I uttered, doubting she would ever tell me.

If you liked this chapter please do vote (hit the star) and  if you have time to comment that would mean a lot to me, I love to hear your feedback, it inspires me to keep writing and your critique is a fresh set of eyes that makes my story better.  I take all your points on board when I edit.

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission by the author. 

Many thanks 

Kimberley S B Lieb

Revised and updated thanks linahanson anupamarc for your help and guidance on this book and in particular the last few chapters marked private.