16 -Revelation

"Hold a sec, I think my foot is going to sleep," said Emily as she got up and stretched a little before sitting down again.

Expectantly, my eyes followed her every move, wanting to hear more.

"Well," continued Emily, "once she couriered over the signed the papers, Jarod paid over the money."

"So what happened next?" I asked, now pulled into the story.

"You know, for a while we had peace. The divorce was proceeding and it seemed as though we were becoming friends. Jarod convinced me to move in. I felt comfortable with him and it was better than living at the YMCA. It seemed a no brainer," said Emily, eyes fluttering, whilst twisting strands of hair around the fingers of her left hand.

"As soon as the ink was dry on the house deeds of Theodora's dream house, everything changed. My pregnancy progressed and Theodora went back on her word and refused to sign final divorce document," sobbed Emily, "Jarod had trusted her, as she signed everything else but she played her cards well, for sure."

I could hear the anguish in her voice as she continued with her story.

"At the end of every month, Theodora would be on the phone, or at the door demanding money to settle her bills. It was so wearing," Emily said in hushed tones.

"Why did Jarod just give into her, I don't understand Emily. I've never seen Jarod as a wimp. He's an Alpha male. I don't get it?"

"I don't have all the answers but I'm telling you Theodora has some hold over him. What that is, I don't know. I tried to find out and never could. He clammed up. Got nasty," said Emily.

I felt apprehensive and confused, as she put my hand on hers and clasped it. Unless she was an Oscar winning actress, her words seemed sincere.

"I told Jarod to stop. Theodora was bleeding him dry with her escalating demands. Jarod, just couldn't seem to say "No" to her," said Emily.

The pain seemed to etch across Emily's face as she carried on playing with strands of her hair.

"I couldn't stand it, Emily sobbed, "The stress was immense. I dreaded Theodora's dramatic expected arrival every month end and regretted moving in."

She rubbed her stomach with her right hand, a tear falling unrestrained down her cheek.

"It didn't do me or the baby any good. We would try and second guess when she was going to turn up and find a way of not being in," said Emily, as she shuddered with emotion of the recollection.

Emily's voice stuttered with emotion, as she continued, "As my pregnancy became advanced, Theodora appeared more frequently, at the apartment," and she shuddered before uttering, "Theodora's unhinged."

Emily let out a long elongated sigh and slid backwards into her chair, then moved forward again, resting her elbows in front of her on the table, resting her head on top of her hands.

"I was living on egg shells. Always gazing towards the front door. jumping out of my skin every time the phone rang. I would have done anything to get away to escape, anything, if I could," said Emily, as tears continued to roll down her face.

"The pressure got so bad that one particular Saturday, I convinced Jarod to take me to my favourite place, Broadstairs for the day."

"We sat eating cake at an Italian café looking out onto the beach and that day was the first time we had relaxed for a long time. I got to see another side of Jarod. It was if the magic of Broadstairs had worked on him too."

Background Notes:

Broadstairs is a beautiful unspoilt traditional seaside town and touches everyone who has ever been there and has a special place that remains in their heart.

UK spellings:

Engergised/travelled/favourite/coloured/grey or gray/flavour

Edit 6 PALH Oct 2017

Don't forget to click the star before you go, if you enjoyed......comments always welcome...

No part of this may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without permission by the author.